To clip or not to clip...

Started by JudgeDredd, August 31, 2016, 09:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on August 31, 2016, 01:06:30 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 31, 2016, 12:09:21 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 31, 2016, 10:58:28 AM
Quote from: bbmike on August 31, 2016, 10:57:30 AM
I'm still looking for a program that will clip all of my Vassal module counter corners.  >:D

:knuppel2:
So Barth...genuinely...why against the clipping? The way they are done is probably just an "ease of manufacturing" thing. No info is lost and they do look very tidy.

I've clipped corners off with my modelling knife and I have also clipped the "ragged edges" created when punching and the clipping is much easier. It's ALOT of work to cut those ragged edges.

I've always removed my counters from the sprues with a knife and ruler... no ragged corner tuffs... until recently when I switched to a rotary cutter and ruler.. same results and easier.

I just prefer the square look to the rounded corner, always have. Also I don't like "defacing" my games by making modifications - marked up rule books, correction stickers on cards (Cyrano!), etc.

Also I think it's a colossal waste of time to clip counters.  :P

Nowadays lots of companies are die cutting their counters with rounded corners... I'm OK with that because the counters have been design with that in mind... one would hope any way.  :idiot2:

Plus yer all gonna burn in Hell fer abusing harmless counters.  :D

Hippy!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Rekim

Doing some the old fashioned way out on the deck this afternoon:

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

panzerde

I escalated beyond corner clipping and tweezers this past weekend, and ordered wooden counter sleds.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

Quote from: panzerde on August 31, 2016, 06:11:01 PM
I escalated beyond corner clipping and tweezers this past weekend, and ordered wooden counter sled

You sir, are a God!

Staggerwing

So, just out of curiosity, if a US citizen were to ship a 50 pound box (as in 3 1/2 Stone, not £50) labeled 'Paper Goods' or 'Presents' from the States to some bloke in the UK, private citizen to private citizen, and the bloke in question were to redistribute the contents of said box (which looked very much like table top games and game counter appearance enhancement devices) to other souls who also resided in the UK, how much trouble could all involved get into if the UK Customs or UK Postal Police (is that a thing?) were to open said box and, upon discovering it's contents, feel like some additional revenue aught to have been paid to someone (maybe themselves)?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Quote from: mirth on August 31, 2016, 06:13:04 PM
Quote from: panzerde on August 31, 2016, 06:11:01 PM
I escalated beyond corner clipping and tweezers this past weekend, and ordered wooden counter sled

You sir, are a God!

I'd sing you praises too, but I don't know what a wooden counter sled is.

Staggerwing

Is it like the thing you put your scrabble tiles in while you keep them in reserve?

NM, I googled it. They are the little stands you put individual counters in to keep them upright on the game board, aren't they?

https://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_E_2137433781_A_ManufacturerID_E_2145088292_A_CategoryID_E_4_A_GenreID_E_
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

This is a counter sled. Good for giving some fog of war... Mostly for Nappy games.... real craziness...  :idiot2:

Bison

Huh.  I would have never even thought of something like that.

Barthheart

Complete with proper square counters.

mirth

GJK

Just don't close the door to that room too hard or else you'll have a bunch of unsledded counters.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on August 31, 2016, 07:29:51 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 31, 2016, 07:17:22 PM
Complete with proper square counters.

Get a job, hippie!

I got a job makin black holes. What's yers?  8)

mirth