Consolidated Running Online Privacy/Social Media Issues thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 25, 2018, 02:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on July 05, 2018, 08:09:50 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/business/media/tv-viewer-tracking.html

saw that this morning...  scary that people opt into things that they don't understand, and even worse when they are misrepresented by manufacturers who count on the lack of understanding
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

^ Humancentipad (South Park)

pretty sure posting any images from that episode would be illegal in 23 countries

Francois10

"It's an important thread since more and more people seek Internet privacy and don't want their data and lives to be overexposed.
I deleted my Facebook account a few weeks ago. I wonder if they deleted all of the data they have collected or if it says there forever? I have also deleted my other accounts on various social media, and only Instagram is left. It is my business account, bringing me most of my orders. I like this way of using social media, but it does not look right when people start oversharing. I'm ready to dedicate time and money to developing my IG account to get more views from <REDACTED> because it makes it more popular. I get more orders this way. "

W8taminute

Yes that is pretty much me as well these days. 
I am considering joining Telegram.  How do you like it?  Does it feel intrusive?

Btw, welcome aboard!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk