Flight simulator hardware for all eras

Started by SirAndrewD, October 20, 2022, 11:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

I've noticed that there's a trend in various game specific flight sim threads for us to discuss our hardware in generalized terms.  For example, I've spoken a lot about my setups for games like IL2 in the DCS thread.

The DCS thread has sort of become a catch all for us to discuss our simpits, our various hardware, and suggestions that we have for a general flight sim experience.

So I'd propose we start a more specific tech based discussion here for those that have questions about various gear and our experiences with them.

Between Jarhead and I we have a pretty complete experience with most of the brands, both enthusiast and beginner. 

I also know we've got even more opinions from other simmers, some of which may not be into DCS but possibly IL2 or even space sims. 

So with the hope that it might take, I think this might be a good place for us to share our pits, or gear, our experiences from HOTAS setups, to MFD's to even monitors and control boxes.

To start, the latest iteration of my simpit, with controls by Virpil, MFG,  Winwing, Blackhog, Elgato and Thrustmaster.  VR Valve Index.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

solops

Great thread idea! I love the idea of flight games but I will never be hardcore. I loved Knights of the Sky, a classic. I have IL-2 but rarely play, partially because of other competing games, but mostly because I suck. I'm kinda like "Tell me the best joystick and I'll putter around a bit". BTW, your rig is ridiculous :)  Exactly what I would expect from a devotee. Truly awesome.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jamus34

I have a VKB stick and peddles. And not much else.

It's one of those things I'd love to sink time and money in (also a racing rig) but I am in short supply of both.
Insert witty comment here.

Dammit Carl!

When puttering about in pancake mode (stealing that phrase from Jarhead, btw), I'm chill with my Saitek x45 HOTAS, and I've a Thrustmaster set with pedals still boxed as I've not touched a flight sim in quite a bit.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I have a VKB stick, an X55 throttle, and TrackIR.  I got rid of the pedals and went back to using a twisty rudder.  Does the job.

Gusington

Holy moly...that is JH levels of tech in that shot.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Thanks guys.

As you can probably tell most of that gear is to try to handle DCS and all its millions of buttons of permutations.  The clicky cockpits are great, but it totally changes the experience to have the most important functions at your fingertips. 

However, as I noted in the WW1 VR thread, most of that gear is not really required for a WW1 or WW2 sim.  In fact, I find even my reduced set to sometimes be overkill with lots of unused buttons. 

If you are going to just wave off the advanced jets and concentrate on Early Flight/Warbirds there are lots of ways to trim the cost.

The only part of my setup that I find absolutely non negotiable are the Rudder Pedals. 

The MFG Crosswinds were my first piece of kit that wasn't budget, and it opened my eyes to just how different a real set of pedals can be compared to say, CH or Saitek/Logitech options.

Another cool thing about Crosswinds is they offer a lot of authentic switchable pedals.  Mine are BF-109's but they have options for universal combat, Cessna, Airbus, P-51, P-47 and more. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Dammit Carl!

The seeming (to me in the picture) combined stick and rudder pedal unit is choice.  Care to give details?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 21, 2022, 11:53:59 AM
The seeming (to me in the picture) combined stick and rudder pedal unit is choice.  Care to give details?

They're not actually combined.  Different makers.  The stick is a Virpil Mongoose Stick with both Control panels, one slaved to the stick, the other direct plugged into usb.

Pedals are MFG Crosswinds.

The Crosswinds action is just so precise and smooth I don't need to place it against a wall or barrier to use them, so I can position them in a natural place that feels comfortable.

For me the MFG pedals were the perfect blend of quality, precise response and price.  There are other great rudder solutions out there though, Virpil makes many different styles of pedals, as does VKB.   Thrustmaster has a set that is generally rated as the overall best, but Thrustmaster prices it significantly higher than the competition, much higher than the very tiny gap in quality, hence why I didn't consider their option.

SirAndrewD

FYI VKB has really good options for Warbird only flight siming that fall not quite in budget but way less than breaking the bank on their high end or Virpil. 

I'm very interested in the WW2 Throttle.  If I were only playing WW1/2 sims I'd probably make it my must have....

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-evo-wwii-combat-edition

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gnx-dual-thq-wwii-thq-sem-v-combo

Gusington

This thread can cost me 100s of dollars or more.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2022, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 23, 2022, 01:12:48 PM

LOL. Try thousands.

Yeah...I've got thousands in my Virpil gear alone. 

Many hundreds in the others, including my X-56 that's gathering dust unused.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 23, 2022, 01:51:47 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2022, 01:39:10 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 23, 2022, 01:12:48 PM

LOL. Try thousands.

Yeah...I've got thousands in my Virpil gear alone. 

Many hundreds in the others, including my X-56 that's gathering dust unused.

Heh.  I bought the X-55 after dumping my G940 (man I miss force feedback sticks).  Love the throttle, hate the stick.  And I never could get the software to work for it....

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 23, 2022, 02:08:39 PM

Heh.  I bought the X-55 after dumping my G940 (man I miss force feedback sticks).  Love the throttle, hate the stick.  And I never could get the software to work for it....

Yes, I hated the stick for the X-56.  The throttle's great, I really really love its action, possibly more than my Virpil. 

But yeah, the stick was just....not good.  Uncomfortable, not precise.

My old X-52 Pro was a much better HOTAS.