John Tiller / Wargamer Design Studio 2D unit graphics

Started by rwenstrup, January 31, 2022, 08:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwenstrup

Long term John Tiller games player. The updated Wargamer Design Studio Civil War 2D unit graphics just don't work for me. I liked the old graphics from Campaign Gettysburg for example ... but I had them blue and gray.

Is there any way to use the old unit graphics ... or something close to them? The new ones are big and bright ... and for me destroy the feel of the game.

Thanks for the help! I've got most of their games ... and have always enjoyed them ...

Zulu1966

Quote from: rwenstrup on January 31, 2022, 08:51:26 AM
Long term John Tiller games player. The updated Wargamer Design Studio Civil War 2D unit graphics just don't work for me. I liked the old graphics from Campaign Gettysburg for example ... but I had them blue and gray.

Is there any way to use the old unit graphics ... or something close to them? The new ones are big and bright ... and for me destroy the feel of the game.

Thanks for the help! I've got most of their games ... and have always enjoyed them ...

Yes have to agree - find them a bit jarring.

There was a mod I had a few years ago and this toned them down a little and had a smaller nato symbol. I will they would revisit and make them a little more subtle colour wise. I love the new 2D terrain in the Napoleonic series - and the unit graphics - not sure why they went this big and gaudy direction

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Rayfer

As the saying goes....you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.  I love the new graphics in the WDS upgrades.

rwenstrup

It certainly is a personal taste thing ... in the past there were a number of mods that enabled smaller, blue/gray 2d units ... so if somebody preferred that they could use the mod ... I hope that will be the case here ...

Strela

Hi guys,

The previous JTS version graphics are in the \map\traditional map\ directory.

I'm guessing you want the 2D Symbols file. You can copy those and replace the current files in the \map\ directory.

What I am guessing is that you want an even earlier version though?

David

rwenstrup

The problem with being a player from the very beginning! I have used a mode that had smaller units with blue and gray coloring ... which was a mod from way back ...

I have played these games forever ... and will continue to do so ... was just hoping some relatively easy mod was available ...

Thanks for the replies ...

Philippe

I'm supposed to be working on converting my Napoleonic mods to the new WDS format.  However, I manged to rewire my old Windows 7 computer and discovered that I had done a 2D unit and flag mod around the time that Campaign Petersburg came out.  I don't seem to have posted it anywhere, but it was based on an older mod that I used to have up at Gamesquad forums (all those mods seem to be long gone).

The WDS ACW 2d mod is about 95% ready to go.  I need to install a few of the new ACW titles to make sure that it looks right in each period.  The main features of the mod are grey units for the Confederates and different Confederate control flags based on the national flags from each period of the war.  By contrast, the vanilla game uses the Army of Tennessee battle flag popularized by Nathan Bedford Forest and the aftermath of the Southern reaction to reconstruction during the early part of the twentieth century.  Discussion of what it has come to mean since then has no place in this forum.

I haven't taken a long look with the jaundiced eye of a modder, but at first glance I rather like the new silhouette figures which apparently didn't exist when I made the last JTS version of my mod.  I suspect the silhouettes won't stand out enough against a grey background, so I think I may leave the alternate silhouette figures in butternut. 

Having said all of that, I really like most of the work that has been done by the WDS team on the ACW games, and anything I add to it is relatively minor.  My old/new ACW mod should be posted before this time next week.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Zulu1966

I look forward to that mod.
I have to say though I love what they have done with the 3D stuff

First time I can actually play in that mode. And mostly do now.

Also the Napoleonic 2D terrain is excellent. Really gives it a quality boardgame look.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

rwenstrup

-budd-

I hope something is done with the Panzer Campaigns 3d units. I appreciate the numbers in the corners, but the nato icon or picture is to small and there very uninspiring looking graphically.  I like to play with the 3d map when zoomed in, i just get a better idea of the terrain.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.