Emergency rations

Started by steve58, March 22, 2023, 02:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Not quite :beermug[1]: or pretzels, but emergency rations are supposedly food, so here goes.

The wife has been talking about stocking up on some emergency rations.  Just wondering if any Grogs here are stock piling any.  If so, what brands and how do they taste??  Wife has been looking at the Emergency Essentials brand.  TIA
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

We've got some of the MRE-types from Wal-Mart, just add hot water along with extra water and dry goods stuff mostly for Hurricane Season prep.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

That stuff will cost you a fortune. I personally think that the best approach for long term survival is to buy foods that contain foundational nutrients and that are high in calories and that can be stored for 25-30 years. These kinds of foods will maximize your calorie per dollar and can be stored in the long-term.

Things like:

Grains (wheat, rice, oats, corn); beans (black, navy, kidney, lentils, pinto); potato flakes; dehydrated or freeze dried vegetables (onions, celery, carrots); sugar, salt, honey, baking soda, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

We have a ton of bean-based soup and chili, etc., stored in our basement freezer that, even if the power goes out forever and our emergency generator fails, could probably last longer than us. We have used it during power outages in both winter and summer and other than the...expected results from beans...it's not half bad.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on March 22, 2023, 03:19:09 PMWe have a ton of bean-based soup and chili, etc., stored in our basement freezer that, even if the power goes out forever and our emergency generator fails, could probably last longer than us. We have used it during power outages in both winter and summer and other than the...expected results from beans...it's not half bad.
As long as the emergency is over before the outgassing occurs you should be ok with that.  Otherwise the huricane winds could come in handy.

GDS_Starfury

am I the only one that was just planning on eating Gus?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

You could buy your long-term storage food from the Mormons. They know a thing or two about this stuff:

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/new-category/food-storage/5637160355.c

Note: a #10 can holds about 100 oz/ 1 gallon.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

W8taminute

There is a big business for this long term survival stuff but your grocery store is probably the best place to stock up on extra stuff.  I try to always buy an extra bottled water or two among other things when we go food shopping.

https://mypatriotsupply.com/pages/special-offer?hid=4&rfsn=6057118.f730b9

The link above looks like it has some good supplies but they don't come cheap. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Can't eat Gus. Too much sugar.  :lipsrsealed:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

I think of him as a puff pastery.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

At my age, I most resemble Beef Jerky probably.