Call to Arms - Gates of Hell: Ostfront

Started by DesertFox, March 17, 2024, 07:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertFox

Hey guys,
I looked around for threads on this game but haven't seen any recent ones...

Just a heads-up that this game is on sale for $8.74 (normally $34.99) for the next few days.  I had heard good things about it but finally decided to pull the trigger last night at this price.  I played through the first couple of tutorial missions and so far am in love with it.

Does anyone have much experience with this game?  It's an RTS similar to the Men of War series where you can switch into Direct Control mode with your soldiers (although I don't use that feature much).  So far I am enjoying it much more than Men of War/Assault Squad.  It is fairly micromanagement-heavy, but sometimes I am in the mood for that (and there's always Graviteam Tactics when I'm in the opposite mood).  The graphics and gameplay are very good so far, and the sound effects are great.  There are pre-made campaigns included, and the game also includes a dynamic campaign generator.

I am really looking forward to digging deeper into this one!
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

DesertFox

Also I forgot to add...  you do not need to buy the base Call to Arms game any more to run this.  I had a hard time finding a straight answer on this because apparently up until recently you did need the base game but you no longer do.  Hope this helps save someone some time searching for a straight answer!   :grin:
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Jarhead0331

Its an epic game. Definitely the best of the games using the engine. The DLCs are fantastic too, as are several mods. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DesertFox

Have you tried the Liberation/West Front DLC Jarhead?  I am tempted on this one but it's a little more pricey.  This seems like it would be fantastic on the Western Front!
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DesertFox on March 17, 2024, 08:18:45 AMHave you tried the Liberation/West Front DLC Jarhead?  I am tempted on this one but it's a little more pricey.  This seems like it would be fantastic on the Western Front!

Yes. Its great, but the missions are very difficult. Hope you're up for a challenge!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Own it and it's pretty nice. However I ended up dropping it as a staple because you cannot see as far as your tank can shoot. This means unless you mess with the camera a lot that you never see what's firing at you. You just blow up.

Company of heroes and eugen games do not really have this claustrophobic problem.

For $8 it's probably a good deal though.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

DesertFox

It definitely has its issues but when everything is working right, it's just so darn cool... Definitely happy with it for the price though.
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Redwolf

Ohhh, as always having a hard time resisting any game with a ISU-152 in it...

DesertFox

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 17, 2024, 08:16:07 AMThe DLCs are fantastic too, as are several mods. 

@Jarhead, do you have any specific mods that you recommend?  I took a look at the Steam Workshop and it's pretty overwhelming how much there is there.

The more I play this game (and learn the hotkeys), the more I'm loving it!
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DesertFox on March 23, 2024, 11:55:17 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 17, 2024, 08:16:07 AMThe DLCs are fantastic too, as are several mods. 

@Jarhead, do you have any specific mods that you recommend?  I took a look at the Steam Workshop and it's pretty overwhelming how much there is there.

The more I play this game (and learn the hotkeys), the more I'm loving it!

Check out the Valour Mod (WWII), Hotmod 1968 (Cold War), Modern Conflict (Modern WWIII), Old Boy's Vietnam Mod (Vietnam), Star Wars Galaxy at War (SW).
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DesertFox

-- Spartan Battle Manual