The State of my Library... (recommendations welcome!)

Started by DesertFox, March 08, 2023, 08:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

One of the interesting things about the Command Ops 2 game is that the demo is free, but you can use that to play the ton of user-made scenarios that have been created.  Pretty much as risk-free as you can get!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

nelmsm

Quote from: Phantom on March 10, 2023, 03:03:23 PMI too like the Decisive Campaign series - fairly easy to pick up & if you follow military logic you'll most likely get good results.
However, I have found myself drifting more into board games - I'm fortunate in that I have a room set aside so can set out a game & go back to it as & when I have time or suddenly think of a good move or strategy - its also great for looking at the board state & then ruminating on the next move. its far more relaxed & allows more consideration than PC games.
Don't get me wrong, I still like PC games, but I'm really glad I've discovered this whole new strand, though I do shy away from more complex "fiddly" chrome heavy wargames & tend to go for series games like COIN or Levy & Campaign, where I can learn one (generally simpler) rule set & play a lot of games on the back of that. 

I've been drifting towards the board games as well lately.  Have a good chunk of the COIN games with one ongoing game of Fire in the Lake on Vassal that I follow on the map on my den table and another game on my dining room table as well.  Nice being single.  LOL 

Old TImer

I'm not really into board games as much as I used to be, but Fire in the Lake is an experience like no other.  It's dragging me kicking and screaming back into board wargaming all by itself.
And the new additions to the beginning of the war (the Diem years) and the end of the war (1975)
are fantastic.  Someday they will convert Fire in the Lake into a pc game but I'll be dead and gone by the time that happy event occurs.

-budd-

Welcome aboard. There all solid games, I should know, I own them all and then some :idiot2: . More games than time is our motto around here :ThumbsUp:. Good advice given out here, but I'll go with a game that hasn't been mentioned yet. Campaign Series Vietnam, it adds some new things to the turn based games we know and love. Namely mission assignments and the event engine, also the scripted AI can surprise you along the way. Any of the games mentioned are certainly worth your time. Have fun.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

DesertFox

Thank you guys for all the info!!  Based on all your great input, I think I'm gonna download the Command Ops 2 demo and play around with that, and focus mostly on Decisive Campaigns for now.  Now I just have to decide if I want to start with Blitzkrieg or Ardennes Offensive.    :undecided:
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

-budd-

Quote from: DesertFox on March 12, 2023, 12:46:14 PMThank you guys for all the info!!  Based on all your great input, I think I'm gonna download the Command Ops 2 demo and play around with that, and focus mostly on Decisive Campaigns for now.  Now I just have to decide if I want to start with Blitzkrieg or Ardennes Offensive.    :undecided:

Totally different games, scale and feature wise. There both excellent. I haven't put as much time into Ardennes yet. I just love the DC treatment of Case White. I played it many times from the German perspective.

DesertFox

From what I understand, Ardennes is the smaller scale of the two correct?  I think I might start with that one because tackling a new gaming system is tough enough without dealing with huge rosters of units...
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

bobarossa

Ardennes is way more complicated ruleswise as it is at a much smaller scale with far more variety of units.  The first game is much easier to get into, brain wise.

-budd-

Yup, agree with Bobarossa, Ardennes is the more complicated game. Ardennes does have more smaller scenarios to choice from. As I recall DCWTP only has a couple tutorial like scenarios.

DesertFox

Cool, thanks guys!  Looks like it's Warsaw to Paris!!  I want to start simpler if possible...  I know these types of games have learning curves and often involve watching videos, etc and I think you guys have pointed me in a good direction!!
-- Spartan Battle Manual

JasonPratt

The good news is that if you start with Blitz, you'll get to learn the LEAST polished version of the engine, and so you'll have an easier time later with increasingly polished versions.

The bad news, of course, is that you'll be learning the etc. ;)

Also in Blitz, there are three completely different maps and TOAs, which chain into a campaign as you go along, with your German units being brought along if they survive (along with new ones), and even some Polish units possibly surviving (by escaping) to come back later.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

Quote from: gregb41352 on March 11, 2023, 01:42:18 PMI'm not really into board games as much as I used to be, but Fire in the Lake is an experience like no other.  It's dragging me kicking and screaming back into board wargaming all by itself.
And the new additions to the beginning of the war (the Diem years) and the end of the war (1975)
are fantastic.  Someday they will convert Fire in the Lake into a pc game but I'll be dead and gone by the time that happy event occurs.

You can indeed play Fire in the Lake on PC.  There is both a Vassal module and a Table Top Simulator workshop item that both accurately represent the real life board game.

But if you are talking about a stand-alone PC game then yes, that does not exist.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

nelmsm

I'm playing a Vassal game of Fire in the Lake right now and it is great fun.  I think this is a very good game.  Had played with the bots before, both the one that comes with the game and with the card system and now that I know the game better I think they would be great solo.  Love the COIN Series and hope to have a Vassal game going all the time.

Strela

Quote from: DesertFox on March 09, 2023, 09:29:13 AMThank you guys for all your input!  Jarhead I have a few of the John Tiller/WDS games and I really like them.  I think I like Squad Battles the best just for the scale (I can't control massive rosters of units) but I bought Battles of Kursk and Normandy awhile back and I really like those also.  I have a few of the Civil War and WW2 JTS games on my iPad also (they work pretty well with touch controls once you get used to them).

Just to whet your appetite, we are getting close to releasing the 4.01 updates for the reimagined Squad Battles. There is a lot of new code as well as graphics coming. We are hopeful that the three Eastern Front titles (Advance of The Reich, Winter War & Red Victory) as well as the Grenada demo will be in your hands soon. Our play testers are really enjoying the changes in game play and we will share more at release.

Here are some shots from in-game. I have included one 3D shot, but expect that the 3D graphics will be completely overhauled in a future patch. All shots are 1920 x 1080 and you can see how the additional zoom level makes a difference. We are experimenting with another zoom level in 3D and are hopeful we maybe able to include 3D graphics for all the Squad Battles titles, not just the current four.

(Right Click for full size)

W8taminute

Nice screenies. 

I've always been a fan of unit icons.  Nato symbols simply do not re-capture my childhood joy of playing with toy soldiers and vehicles. 

Whilst I do understand the preference of Nato symbols of map cartographers and military enthusiasts, icons is what brings me a smile to my face as I push my digital soldiers to victory.  I never really did grow up.   :grin:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk