ArizonaTank

"Oppenheimer" out in movie theaters 7/21/2023

Movie based on the book, "American Promethius" by Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin

From the guy who brought us "The Dark Knight," "Inception," and "Dunkirk."

Looking forward to this one.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

steve58

Was just coming to post about this, but was ninja'd by AT by many hours.  I may actually have to go see this one.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

al_infierno

Looking forward to this one.  I don't know if this was a joke going around, but apparently the nuclear explosion won't be CGI?   :huh:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on June 21, 2023, 03:17:46 PMLooking forward to this one.  I don't know if this was a joke going around, but apparently the nuclear explosion won't be CGI?   :huh:

No joke.  It's a practical effect with a fuel air bomb, mostly gasoline with a TNT core.  The explosion was the equivalent of 70 tons of TNT all said and done. 

They brightened it to blinding levels by coating the entire device in a huge amount of magnesium.

The rest of making the explosion look the proper size was done with camera tricks. 

Yeah, this movie's going to be lit.   
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Does it disturb anyone else that SirAndrew knows so much about explosions?  :huh:  :Hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

He's got explosives in his pants every night.   :nono2:

- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Hopefully the good kind, not the bad kind I have after eating Mexican.  :HideEyes:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 21, 2023, 10:42:48 PMDoes it disturb anyone else that SirAndrew knows so much about explosions?  :huh:  :Hug:

It would probably be more disturbing if I didn't know so much about explosions.

I do have enough black powder in my storage to probably land me on more watch lists than I'm already on.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

I see then. Please consider anything offensive I've ever said to you as withdrawn immediately.  :Hug:

al_infierno

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on July 20, 2023, 06:19:17 PMGot a ticket to see this one tonight!   :beermug[1]:

Lucky bastard.

One of my fellow history major college buddy of mine said this was Nolan's best. 

Can't wait to see what you think.

Sir Slash