Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Rayfer on March 01, 2019, 03:13:06 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on March 01, 2019, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: solops on March 01, 2019, 01:58:54 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on March 01, 2019, 11:26:05 AM
Why in the world would paradox, a company that is no stranger to history and historical accuracy, make borders of WW2 Europe based off of modern day borders?
One more reason not to buy overpriced DLC for a mediocre game.

Exactly.  I have the game and I like it but I won't reload it on my computer if they're going to make me play WW2 on a map of Europe drawn with modern day borders. 

I can go to my local library, photocopy and enlarge a map of modern Europe (because we all know how extremely difficult it is to obtain a map of Europe circa 1939) from an atlas all for as little as ten cents.  Then I can put my plastic army guys on that map and have just as much fun recreating WW2.

As Ian C posted above, there is already a mod in the Steam Workshop that fixes this map issue.

Right and thank goodness for that mod.  I obviously was being sarcastic. 

But my real point is that Paradox should not release defects like this into their updates. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bbmike

I have never thought of Paradox as trying to achieve anything historical. I agree that HOI should start at a historical point but anything after that is up in the air. I think Jarhead is right that they are probably looking at extending the game into something past WW2. The map changes seem minor to me but what the hell do I know. .
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jamus34

Quote from: bbmike on March 01, 2019, 08:32:04 PM
I have never thought of Paradox as trying to achieve anything historical. I agree that HOI should start at a historical point but anything after that is up in the air. I think Jarhead is right that they are probably looking at extending the game into something past WW2. The map changes seem minor to me but what the hell do I know. .

This is pretty much my view of it. You have a placesetting that approximates the world 1/1/36 (or 39). Once the initial unpause button is hit it is up to user input and the RNG gods to decide how things play out.

I'm fine faulting them for suspect strategy but I am not playing HOI for a completely historical representation of WWII. I have about a half dozen games that covers that.
Insert witty comment here.

ArizonaTank

I am having a good time with it. And the "a-historical" stuff I've seen so far, fit into a nice narrative that makes for a good game.

For example, playing Japan, I pushed the government towards civilian enterprise, and this started to take Japan out of the "fascist" box. Then Pu-yi over in Manchuria decided he didn't like me as overlord, so he revolted. It took me a while to gather the troops necessary to take him out. But being a total fascist, Pu-yi joined the Axis. The next thing I know, Japan is at war with Germany. oops.

So far I haven't seen any real dumb moves by the AI so that makes me happy.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ian C

I'm enjoying it too.
The new naval goodies are enough to keep me happy until the non-game breaking but irritating bugs get fixed.

Jarhead0331

The date is August 30, 1939 and Germany is about to invade Poland with 3 Armies of 72 divisions led by three of the finest generals of the war. This force should be overwhelming, but I just don't know. I'm nervous to issue the order to cross the border...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2019, 08:51:51 PM
The date is August 30, 1939 and Germany is about to invade Poland with 3 Armies of 72 divisions led by three of the finest generals of the war. This force should be overwhelming, but I just don't know. I'm nervous to issue the order to cross the border...

I got to this exact point and then remembered we can train air units and have motorized artillery battalions.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on March 03, 2019, 05:11:16 AM

I got to this exact point and then remembered we can train air units and have motorized artillery battalions.

Yes, it's important to remember from the start that naval and air units can be trained just like land units were before. But it does have an impact on your fuel status.  Question: when you take carriers out to see training with a fleet, do their aircrews get trained as well or do you have to select them separately for training?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ian C on March 03, 2019, 05:11:16 AM

I got to this point and remembered I need to justify a war goal. It's now 1941 and my forces are still on the border because I can't  declare war yet. Stupid mechanic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Fair points gentlemen and something I didn't consider. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

OK...Poland capitulated and the world has most definitely been plunged into war...

My army and air force are both very capable, but I really need to figure out how to use the navy...its not going well at sea.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Moreb

I want to like this game. I even own a couple of the DLC's but it just never jived. Ive played the 1st one a ton, played the 2nd less, didn't play the 3rd even though I owned it and the 4th? Well it just sits. Maybe grand strat isnt my thing anymore? Or maybe the quartermasters tasks become too daunting and my brain cannot keep things straightened out like it used to?

Have they over complicated the game to the point where tedium is the game?  So many things have changed throughout the system that I would imagine the documentation is screwed.

I wouldnt know where to start.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Jarhead0331

I agree that the best way to learn this game is to just play it and learn as you go. I tried watching YouTube videos and reading wikis, but ultimately, the best teacher is just diving in and experiencing it for yourself.

I find that the core basics are relatively intuitive and easy to pick up and then as the need arises, and you get deeper into a game, the more complex nuances can be picked up one at a time. I start scenarios as early as possible, before war has started so I can get comfortable with government, decision making, industry, trade, production, research, etc. Then as I develop more technology and produce more units, I start playing with the division template designer OOB functions. Then, once I have armies together, I work on deployment and battle plans. Then, deploying air wings, attaching them to armies, or designating missions and tasks...My next focus will be on learning the naval system, which is something I've barely looked at, despite having about 30 hours in game!

I think the game is worth the effort to learn and get over that curve. It's very good.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Moreb

Thanks. Is there a nation you'd recommend to start with that doesn't overwhelm?
When dongles fly? - mirth

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Moreb on March 03, 2019, 11:54:35 AM
Thanks. Is there a nation you'd recommend to start with that doesn't overwhelm?

I always jump in with Germany, but I'm sure there are smaller nations that balance better for beginners.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog