Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Just fought my first battle.

Had very little idea as to what was going on. It's a totally different beast. Jammers, sensors, Fire Control Systems, Life Support, communications...all sorts of systems inside of those mechs now. Fire and smoke all over the place, missiles streaking all around, tanks, aircraft, multiple lances, people panicking. Whoa boy. This thing is a killer.   :timeout: :uglystupid2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Might have to take a look at this.

Geezer

Thinking of coming back to Battletech after a few years off.  RogueTech sounds interesting.  Do I need the DLC's to get the most out of Roguetech?  Right now I just have vanilla Battletech.  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on September 14, 2021, 07:53:22 AM
Thinking of coming back to Battletech after a few years off.  RogueTech sounds interesting.  Do I need the DLC's to get the most out of Roguetech?  Right now I just have vanilla Battletech.  Thanks.

You do not need them, but there are some features of the mod that are only accessible if you do have the DLC.

Honestly, there might be too much to this mod. I'm thinking about looking into another one that is very deep, but not RogueTech deep...its called BattleTech Advanced 3062.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Geezer

Roguetech looks like too much of a good thing for me.  I've never played tabletop so having that level of detail would be wasted on me.  Installing BTA 3062 now and will give that a whirl.

Geezer

All three Battletech expansions are now on sale on Steam for 50% off through the 20th.  Resistance is futile...  8)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on September 16, 2021, 02:06:05 PM
All three Battletech expansions are now on sale on Steam for 50% off through the 20th.  Resistance is futile...  8)

Any feedback on BTA 3062?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

Haven't done enough yet to have any meaningful thoughts.  Just fired up the game and adjusted my mechs a bit but haven't done any missions yet.  I've been watching some recent videos by Baradul and a series of tutorials by MangaMaD from last year.

The game did lock up on me once but that was after I left it minimized on the main screen for a while.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Geezer on September 16, 2021, 04:36:40 PM
Haven't done enough yet to have any meaningful thoughts.  Just fired up the game and adjusted my mechs a bit but haven't done any missions yet.  I've been watching some recent videos by Baradul and a series of tutorials by MangaMaD from last year.

The game did lock up on me once but that was after I left it minimized on the main screen for a while.

Hmmmm..I wonder if Baradul has done a comparison video. He would be the expert.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

I don't see any comparison videos on Youtube, but Baradul does have a playthrough for each mod.

CptHowdy

i have seen comments in baraduls current bta campaign that suggest once you get a few lrm tanks on the battlefield it becomes easy mode. might be a house rule you would implement that you cant use them or only have one. i stopped playing roguetech mod right before they implemented individual initiative. watched baradul play to see if i wanted to jump back into it but that mod just seems so bloated now i dont even want to mess with it.

Geezer

Completed the first "training" mission successfully.  It felt very laggy at the end and I have a decent rig (i9900K @3.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2080 Super) so that was disappointing.  It took forever to do the mission because my guys couldn't hit the broad side of an Atlas even with sensor locks!   >:(  Luckily the enemies were all using training ammo or we would not have survived.  My play was rusty and certainly sub-optimal which didn't help.

Geezer

Completed my second mission just now to secure an "abandoned" base.  Lag was minimal although there was a bit of a delay in processing a couple of enemy turns.  The good news is we completed the mission which was only a half skull difficulty but got us a lot of valuable salvage.  The bad news is that my Commander got one shotted by an Urbanmech that ran behind him from a long way off?!   :o  A PPC shot to the back.  His Locust was destroyed and not recoverable and he has 109 days worth of injuries.  Any other pilot would have been killed which is why I took him on the mission as it only allowed me to add one mech to the allied group.  AFAIK your commander can never be killed.  That seems pretty severe for a lousy half skull mission.  Can't wait to see how the 5 skull missions will go...

I'm not going to report every mission here but that one seemed worthy of a post.

Geezer

Ran another mission and the lag was close to unbearable.  The enemy had 4 mechs and 6 vehicles.  Not sure if that slowed it down or what but even after most of the enemy was gone the game still chugged every time the AI moved.  Going to have to check for any recommended fixes.  Something has to improve or I may just go back to vanilla.