Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen55

My initial enthusiasm has flagged a bit. The mechanic that forces you to decide how your, e.g., 12 orders for this turn should be divvied out among your 7 units, each of which can move up to 3 or 4 times, while holding orders back for building and responding to special events makes for plenty of interesting decisions in the early to middle parts of the game. Unfortunately, it becomes cumbersome when you have 36 orders to divide up among 30 units every damned turn. It's early access yet, but they need to work on the late-game bogdown problem it at least shares with Civ, if not doubles down on.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Martok

For as maligned as the game was, and though the feature was cut from the final version, I think MOO3's Imperial Focus Points (IFP's) was a far better system. 

You basically had the same number of IFP's at the beginning of the game as you did at the end of the game, so you were still making the same number of "executive decisions" as when you started.  (I believe it was planned that you could research techs that would allow you to increase this number slightly, but not to any significant extent.)  The theory/hope was that players with bigger empires would be forced to rely more heavily on their AI subordinates (governors, admirals, etc.) to run things, whereas players with smaller empires could micromanage things a bit more, therefore allowing them to better compete with their larger neighbors. 

It's a pity we never got to see how (or whether) the IFP system would've worked.  In any case, however, a key part of it was that the number of IFP's available to the player remained pretty much throughout the game. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

solops

Ok. I am interested, given the comments in the Humankind thread...so disappointed in Humankind.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

RedArgo

I've played through Old World through a handful of aborted games and three to completion.  I'm only playing on the third difficulty level from the bottom, but I've found that to be enough of a challenge for now.  There is a lot going on with family relations, major and minor countries, religion, orders, different resources to build different things for your empire like physical food/wood/iron/stone, but also money, civics, training, growth, some others I don't remember. 

There are very deep tool tips in the game and a tutorial, but I found this manual that was created after release to be a help getting my head around the whole thing.  At least as much as I have.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgJ028vrIejziZADX9yMvb4LJQzY9g

Haven't played in a few weeks, but they have also been releasing regular updates with fixes, adjustments, and more events.

There is also a very active Discord channel.

Gusington

This can't get to Steam fast enough. I may even break and download the Epic client for this if I'm feeling weak.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on September 15, 2021, 06:23:37 AM
This can't get to Steam fast enough. I may even break and download the Epic client for this if I'm feeling weak.

Steam release could become available mid 2022.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

I will wait for the Steam release due to my antipathy towards Epic and also it gives them time to iron out any bugs.

Highly looking forward to this one.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Silent Disapproval Robot

I haven't run into any bugs so far. The only issue I have has is that the key remapping feature doesn't work properly and you can't remap things to the numberpad.  I did see one spelling mistake but that got fixed in the last patch.

KR777

Quote from: devoncop on September 15, 2021, 09:14:24 AM
I will wait for the Steam release due to my antipathy towards Epic and also it gives them time to iron out any bugs.

Highly looking forward to this one.
This is definitely a TBS I could consider trying once it comes to Steam. I'm not a fan anymore of TBS in general, preferring RTS with pause. This game can't deny being inspired by the dev's exposure to CIV4, however, and well, that's my main concern: if it's too civ-like. I wouldn't want that, because I can't play Civ anymore having played it way too much when I was younger. Notwithstanding these concerns, the whole concept, setting, family politics, etc. looks really interesting. It's basically what I would have wished for my beloved Hegemony III game, if it just had received more - and I mean many more - updates/dlc.

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: RedArgo on September 14, 2021, 11:36:56 PM

I found this manual that was created after release to be a help getting my head around the whole thing.  At least as much as I have.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgJ028vrIejziZADX9yMvb4LJQzY9g

Useful link.  Thank you.

devoncop

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 15, 2021, 10:17:37 AM
I haven't run into any bugs so far. The only issue I have has is that the key remapping feature doesn't work properly and you can't remap things to the numberpad.  I did see one spelling mistake but that got fixed in the last patch.

Impressive  :bd:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

steve58

fyi:  OW is on sale until 9/23 (11am) for ~$36 over at Epic Games.  Tempted, but still going to try to wait for an Epic Games sale that has the $10 off coupons.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

I am hell bent to wait for it to appear on Steam.

That said, Crusader Kings III is on sale for 40.00 @ Steam...I never did get into the previous version but this one is calling to me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: devoncop on September 15, 2021, 12:34:08 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 15, 2021, 10:17:37 AM

Impressive  :bd:

I did run into some issues in my latest game.  I started experiencing a fair amount of lag and some unresponsiveness once I'd reached the late stages of the campaign when all the fog of war had been removed from the map and there were large numbers of units in play.  I also had an issue where the text had become corrupted and I couldn't read anything in some of the dropdown menus.  I think that might have been because I had alt-tabbed out to look at an incoming message while the game was processing a turn.