New 40K Game Revealed

Started by Jarhead0331, June 03, 2021, 03:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 25, 2021, 05:32:34 AM
^yeah. I haven't seen anything to suggest there will be ship combat. It's a game about Grey Knights, so I'd expect the focus to be on combat with that team in play. Maybe there will be some combat aboard vessels through boarding actions?

I'd be happy with boarding actions.  I can see that being in the game based on that preview video. 

The other thing I liked was that the developer was stressing tactics over luck.  There will be no random dice rolls where an elite soldier firing the most accurate gun in the game at a target 5 inches away misses a 99% hit chance. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on October 25, 2021, 11:00:13 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 25, 2021, 05:32:34 AM
^yeah. I haven't seen anything to suggest there will be ship combat. It's a game about Grey Knights, so I'd expect the focus to be on combat with that team in play. Maybe there will be some combat aboard vessels through boarding actions?

I'd be happy with boarding actions.  I can see that being in the game based on that preview video. 

The other thing I liked was that the developer was stressing tactics over luck.  There will be no random dice rolls where an elite soldier firing the most accurate gun in the game at a target 5 inches away misses a 99% hit chance.

I liked how he was referring to the original Chaos Gate, which gives me hope that he has played it and understands what made it so great. In my opinion, it is one of the few isometric tactical games to rival the original X-com. it is certainly one of the best 40K IP games ever made.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Release date revealed....May 5, 2022. Pre-orders now open.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Looking really good!

Drops tomorrow.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

CptHowdy

picked this one up. hopefully i get more out of it than battlesector.

Con

Anyone have this and have an opinion if its worth getting?
Con

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Con on June 02, 2022, 08:05:18 AM
Con

I've very much enjoyed it, but I did find that the battles got somewhat repetitive over time. Still, totally worth it, particularly if you're a 40K nut. It's one of the better games using the IP.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Con

If you like X-Com or Warhammer 40k, this scratches both itches.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Con

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 02, 2022, 03:35:30 PM
Con

Stop

You had me at Itches

Con

al_infierno

Quote from: Con on June 02, 2022, 06:02:24 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 02, 2022, 03:35:30 PM
Con

Stop

You had me at Itches

Con

:o
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ComradeP

Jarhead, did you feel the gameplay actually resembled Chaos Gate or is it a misnomer?

Based on a few trailers and reviews, it doesn't seem all that similar.

Partially due to the chapter choice (every Grey Knight is a psyker), but also gameplay decisions (100% chance to hit).

The trailers suggest gameplay similar to other recent Warhammer 40K turn-based games, streamlined with less variables, or something like a turn-based version of DoW II.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ComradeP on June 03, 2022, 10:50:22 AM
Jarhead, did you feel the gameplay actually resembled Chaos Gate or is it a misnomer?

Based on a few trailers and reviews, it doesn't seem all that similar.

Partially due to the chapter choice (every Grey Knight is a psyker), but also gameplay decisions (100% chance to hit).

The trailers suggest gameplay similar to other recent Warhammer 40K turn-based games, streamlined with less variables, or something like a turn-based version of DoW II.

No. The original Chaos Gate was much more akin to the original X-Com, whereas the new Chaos Gate is much more like the new X-Com.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ComradeP

I feared as much. Based on you still enjoying it, I'll give it a go.

Edit: after reading some of the negative reviews on Steam, I think I'll just reinstall the original Chaos Gate for now and will wait a year or so for this game to be patched/discounted.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

al_infierno

I really wish I could like new X-Com style games...  Or really, I wish strategy developers would go back to making original X-Com style games.  ::)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao