SC WW I Brreakthrough!

Started by Bismarck, August 28, 2012, 06:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Instead of directing us off-site, how about you kick off some discussion of your impressions here? I know there are guys who will be interested in it. Let us know what you think.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bismarck

Quote from: LongBlade on August 28, 2012, 07:04:00 PM
Instead of directing us off-site, how about you kick off some discussion of your impressions here? I know there are guys who will be interested in it. Let us know what you think.

Great terrain graphics, neat smaller scenarios, nice AI. The Jutland scenario is cute but shallow. Having read a book and an article on the first Balkan war, I found that scenario fascinating. Most of the continental scenarios in the West are still slugfests.The possible deployment of troops open up great possibilities.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

Good Balkan scenario eh? That sounds great. What are the playable sides in the Balkan scenario?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

What about US Marines at Belleau Wood????
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

Bismarck

Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2012, 07:48:45 PM
Good Balkan scenario eh? That sounds great. What are the playable sides in the Balkan scenario?

None in that one. Deployment happens in the larger scenarios/
Jim Cobb

Gusington

^So the player in the Balkan scenario can only play as the Allies?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2012, 08:03:02 PM
^So the player in the Balkan scenario can only play as the Allies?

No both sides. My money's on the Turks.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bismarck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 28, 2012, 07:50:18 PM
What about US Marines at Belleau Wood????

I went back and checked the Ludendorff Offensive. The 2nd US division is there so the Marine Brigade is there under that division.
Jim Cobb

Martok

Thanks, Bismark.  I like what I'm hearing so far.  Am especially interested in the smaller scenarios. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bismarck

The base SC:WW I has been patched to 1.06 in preparation for this expansion.
Jim Cobb

airboy

The "what-if" potential of Breakthroughs is compelling.  Not attacking Belgium and trying to knock Russia out is the biggest strategic choice the Germans had.  The option of the UK not entering the war initially is a huge alternative history question.

The AAR I did where Germany repositioned their forces for a month and did not attack Belgium is modeled much easier in this if I'm reading Jim's review accurately.

I'm very interested in this.