Air Conflicts-Pacific Carriers & Other Pacific Flight PC Titles

Started by FrontierCybrarian, September 28, 2012, 08:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

If you want to fly some PTO stuff, have a look at War-Thunder.  I'm still under NDA so I can't say much.  They did just release a huge new patch and even in arcade mode, things are much less arcadey than before.  I'm not sure how the pricing scheme is going to work but this game may just be a winner.

Generic pacific map.  Gives a good sense of the chaos of a big furball.  Don't know why nobody's used the paint option to personalize their planes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwbm6xSXabM

Pearl Harbour map.  You can see some of the plane personalization options in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYOMsCQxSFI

This is an older alpha video of the Midway map.  Some of the physics and cockpits haven't been fully implemented in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5N1pxOdHBs&feature=related

Grim.Reaper

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yes.  Single player campaigns and a full mission editor.  I suspect the campaigns will be similar to those found in Wings of Prey.

Grim.Reaper

Staggerwing

The videos certainly caught my attention. The visuals looked great. What are the recommended specs for running it reasonably well?

[grog-whine] I did raise an eyebrow at the Tora Tora Tora vid showing what looks like an M10 or M36 on the field under attack at about the 1:55 minute mark. The first M10s entered the field in late 1942 and the first M36s in late 1944. [/grog-whine]
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

@SDR - thanks for the heads up on War Thunder, it looks great.. I'll add it to my watch list. I'd be more interested in single-player though.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 30, 2012, 05:27:15 PM
The videos certainly caught my attention. The visuals looked great. What are the recommended specs for running it reasonably well?

[grog-whine] I did raise an eyebrow at the Tora Tora Tora vid showing what looks like an M10 or M36 on the field under attack at about the 1:55 minute mark. The first M10s entered the field in late 1942 and the first M36s in late 1944. [/grog-whine]

Expect a lot of historical anachronisms.  I think that's something the guys who build missions for the full real servers will address. 

I don't know what the recommended specs are for running it.  They haven't been put out yet, as far as I know.  Basically, if you can run Wings of Prey, you should be able to run this without too much problem.  It's also very scalable from what I can tell by the graphics options tabs.

FrontierCybrarian

Silent Disapprovaal Robot thanks for bringing this to our attention. Many of us follow all things Pacific Theater.
I assume when you mention NDA it referes to non-disclosure agreement even though google definition search rendered over 250 official definitions which might have some bearing; Next Day Air, Never Die Alone, Normal Daily Activity, and most importantly Not Diagnosed with Anything. I could see how a Pacific War pilot may utter anyone of the phrases.

GrimReaper & Steve 58, single play is my only interest, too. When flying I like to look around, take in the situation slowly and precisely, before engaging the dogfights or missions. That's not to say I don't like computer AI squad members helping out. However, many multiplay games include some hot shot youngsters who aren't patient and just want to get in and out of the shoot em ups. They have there place...but let it be with similar type players.

Staggerwing and others, if you don't have Wings of Prey here are the computer stats which SDR indicates should handle War Thunder  game as well". These are from the back of the box:

Minimum                                   Recommended
Win XP (SP3), Vista (Sp3) Win &                    same
CPU Intel Pent. 4.332 GHz                             Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
Ram 1 GB                                                     Ram 2 GB
GPU Nvidia 7600 256 MB, Direct X 9.0c           Nvidia GTS 250 512 MB
Hard Drive Space 10 GB                                same
Sound Card 100% DirX Comp.                        same, 5.1 Ch. Capacity
Internet Connection 56 kb/s                           512 kb/s

"Internet Registration of Key Code Required to Play the Game. Online Connection Not Necessary to Play After Registering Key Code. Online Connection Required to Play MultiPlayer."

Regarding the specs, I don't know why they didn't list AMD cpu and gpu equivalents. I imagine the game will play with those computer components, too.
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

Staggerwing

NM this post in it's original form. I figured it out. Next I plan on learning all my numbers and colors. Someday- the Alphabet too.

SDR, thanks for the key!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

FrontierCybrarian

Staggerwing, in the opinion of many (some, few, or one) you're in the Eddie Rickenbacker and Billy Mitchell class, so you're way ahead of numbers, colors, spelling, etc. Fly on Brother!

This isn't a big deal but several WW2/Pacific flight games are mentioned in this thread about Air Conflicts-Pacific Carriers. If Administrator (Longblade), Silent Disapproval Robot, and others don't mind, and if it's useful/appropriate, we could take two possible approaches on posting:

1. I could change the title of this thread to Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers, War Thunder, other Pacific Flight PC Games and let it carry on as we're doing with discussion on the general theme of WW2 Pacifc flight pc games. I think this would reach more readers and the subject will tie together nicely.

2. Have a separate thread on War Thunder (not just titled beta keys) and have someone else host it (SDR if desired). The beta keys deal was very nice and helpful to participants by the way and I'm glad it was offered. Also separate threads placed for other Pacific flight games.

Give your opinon and we'll proceed forward with FLYING HIGH in the 40's OVER the OCEAN BROAD.

FrontierCybrarian

Here is a player (not a "professional" reviewer) comment about the game where he talks about play balance, difficulty issues, and AI concerns. He scores the game a 6/10 but if patched to fix the issues a 8/10. It is fun but could be better.

Read the specifics by Ansatsu83 at Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/air-conflicts-pacific-carriers

I'm still holding out in a purchase until I find players are giving it higher marks than a "6". One player review is not enough for me.

SORRY, SORRY, SORRY. The above was a premature interjection (not ejection, dejection or detection). After further investigation here are some other reports of actual install/play of the game. Go to Steam, Air Conflicts-Pacific Carriers, and find the blue Community bar (rightside half-way down. Click on Visit Forums and you'll find 49 questions and comments about the game. Much of it confirms the above player comments.

FrontierCybrarian

Found out there is a new release of a "stripped" down version of Heroes of the Pacific called Damage Inc. Pacific Squadron WW2.

http://www.gamespot.com/damage-inc-pacific-squadron-wwii/videos/damage-inc-pacific-squadron-wwii-official-trailer-6375070/

There are a few player comments at Amazon giving it a 2.5 to 3 average out of 10 score for xbox & wii. At $49.00, 20 bucks more than ACPC, I'd be cautious about this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_4?rh=n%3A468642%2Cn%3A%2111846801%2Cn%3A229575&bbn=11846801&ie=UTF8&qid=1263449575&rnid=11846801#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D229575&field-keywords=Damage+Inc.&rh=n%3A468642%2Cn%3A%2111846801%2Cn%3A229575%2Ck%3ADamage+Inc.

Another more extensive and slightly more favorable review for Damage, Inc.

http://www.slashgear.com/damage-inc-pacific-squadron-wwii-review-28244151/

I really loved Heroes of the Pacific but gave it away when I couldn't get it to work on Win 7. To me the game had personality and I liked playing (using a code to unlock) advanced aircraft (Typhoon, etc.) starting in the initial mission that could really smoke the standard Zeroes, Vals, Kates to produce astounding USA/UK victories. Damage Inc. from what I read doesn't carry the personality of HOTP.

W8taminute

To me the best game covering this time period and place was Dynamix's Aces of the Pacific.

The graphics were actually cutting edge back in the day.  What I really liked about this game, and the feature I use to judge every flight sim since, is the campaign mode.  Today there is not a game out there, not one that I know of anyway, where to play the campaign you simply fly missions, rank up, get better aircraft when they were historically available to frontline units, get taken prisoner, escape and return to duty.  This cycle continues until the historic end of the way in August of 1945. 

Today's games seem to want you to play some scripted missions, tell a story, unlock new camo patterns for your planes, share your achievements on facebook, and then watch a fantastic movie at the end bragging about how awesome you are.  I don't want that, I just want a realistic, mundane career in which I do my job, and be done with it. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

FrontierCybrarian

W8tAminute, right on. I actually bought a more powerful new computer to play Aces of the Pacific and for my son to play Wing Commander. Both are classics.

So you just want to be a serious pilot, get in get out,...no hot-dogging or bragging. The reward is personal and inward...an inner feeling of satisfaction. But...you still have sweat, oil, cordite on your face and hands when all is said and done. You do not want to be like Steve McQueen in the initial stages of the movie, War Lover.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056676/

W8taminute

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on October 03, 2012, 03:35:42 PM
W8tAminute, right on. I actually bought a more powerful new computer to play Aces of the Pacific and for my son to play Wing Commander. Both are classics.

So you just want to be a serious pilot, get in get out,...no hot-dogging or bragging. The reward is personal and inward...an inner feeling of satisfaction. But...you still have sweat, oil, cordite on your face and hands when all is said and done. You do not want to be like Steve McQueen in the initial stages of the movie, War Lover.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056676/

Yes yes!  That sums up what I want.  You hit it spot on.  Now that you mention it I think I bought a new gaming rig just so that I could play Aces of the Pacific and Tie Fighter.  Wing Commander was a great game too.  I regret now not ever buying it at the time because of missed out memories I could have had with that title.

War Lover?  I don't think I've ever seen that movie.  Add that to my list of want to sees.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk