Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

This is my current status

Spain/France - fire fighting

Italy - fire fighting

The objectives

My forces

The Strat Map

I haven't got to even consider landing on Africa or delving into Spain. Should I attack? Would that make the enemy divert forces? Is he leaving his back door open?
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I don't get why sometimes it takes so long to move into a region - and more than that - I don't understand why (in this case and others) I can't move into Rhizon without being diverted through Epidaurus or Salluntum?

I mean - I get units forces move at the speed of their slowest unit. But this unit moved into the region it's in in 2 days - now it's going to take 40 to move back and another 40 to move south?

Alba gu' brath

Kushan

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 09, 2012, 04:05:17 AM
I don't get why sometimes it takes so long to move into a region - and more than that - I don't understand why (in this case and others) I can't move into Rhizon without being diverted through Epidaurus or Salluntum?

I mean - I get units forces move at the speed of their slowest unit. But this unit moved into the region it's in in 2 days - now it's going to take 40 to move back and another 40 to move south?

I don't know. I'd like to know to. I think it has to do with a combination of the infrastructure, units moving, and the military control of the regions your moving in and out of. I was sieging a city in south-central Sicily, and couldn't move my forces back to Syracus, which I controlled,  until I finished my siege.

I've alone had it happen in southern Italy, were it will say it will take 80+ days to move for no apparent reason....
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

JudgeDredd

Sorry...I actually got  the answer over at AGEoD...it's because I have 2 units in there that are militia or something....looking at the units they have a Speed Coef of 10...whereas my good units have a speed coef of 100 or more
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 09, 2012, 01:27:28 AM
oh yeah - I've been recruiting troops! The AI just has decent armies lodged in the South of Italy (there are about 3 or 4 moving from region to region) and I'm running about with 2 to grab places back. I have a large army in Southern France putting fires out and one over to the east of Italy on the mainland which is slowly taking ground. Caesar is stuck in Sicily with an enemy army grater than his sitting in the north east province - I could ship him off - but that would leave sicily wide open.

I really am struggling to gain ground and only really just managing to re-take ground.

A couple of questions if anyone has the time

1. I see regions going purple (I'm playing Caesar). According to the manual regions change hands based on the last unit to stay there at least one turn. These are normal regions - nothing special - so I guess their only real importance is from a supply point of view? Is there any reason why I should use an army to retake a non important region if it appears to not block my supply chain? Is there any other reason why I should take those regions or can I just let the map turn purple as long as I have strategic and objective cities?

They do provide more income at the beginning of the year.  And they could also provide quick resupply for small enemy forces, therefore allowing them to spend more time in that area if they have some forces there.   But if there's little there to covet, then it's not a big worry (unless aforementioned enemy forces are using it as a base to hit your neighboring ones).   Note that there are also decisions you can purchase that can have an effect on ownership & loyalty of regions, even where you have no troops.  I suppose those are for bribing local officials and such over to your way of thinking and investing in some smaller security forces/mercs.   If you don't want to commit part of your armies, there's always these decisions that could flip regions which are out of the way and unoccupied (if you feel the need).

Quote2. I'm building units - but only really have the ability to create a few small spear units (can't remember what they're called - 1 up from plebs) and at the end/beginning of each year I can build a couple of the bigger units (cohorts?) - is it sufficient to leave a single pleb army in a city/town? Should I guard my objectives/strategic cities with cohorts or should I attach the cohorts to my armies and use the plebs to protect cities? Because I don't have enough money to create enough units to guard all the cities AND rebuild my battered armies.

That's all that springs to mind at the mo.

Ta

I've only played part of one scenario thus far, so I'm not sure of the whole situation you have.   It's probably much different than the one I experienced.  But I tried to leave some mobile auxilia units spread around a bit, for quick reaction against any uprisings back in my own territory, and just used whatever relatively cheap garrison units I could purchase to defend the important VP cities I owned.  That way there is enough of a garrison to hopefully hold out a couple months against any small or raider type force coming through - enough time to get my regional Auxilia there to relieve them hopefully.  It won't matter if your enemy manages to get one of his larger armies there, however, so the only defense against that is one of your own large armies.   The garrisons and regional defense forces are there just to keep the plebs honest and make sure there's no small enemy unit or barbarians attempting to gain a foothold.

JudgeDredd

cheers nefaro. I think this games is definitely lost but I'm using it to try things
Alba gu' brath