Why Beans Are More Important than Bullets

Started by DicedT, October 05, 2012, 05:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oche

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Rayfer

Kushan

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

ArizonaTank

Quote from: DicedT on October 05, 2012, 05:34:00 PM
http://kotaku.com/5949006/why-beans-are-more-important-than-bullets

There are some games where you do have actually move the beans and bullets.  WITPAE is the best example.   The great thing about that game is that most of what a player does related to moving the troops around. 

I am ex-Army logistics type, so always looking for logistics in a good wargame, or computer game for that matter.

One of my first attempts at "game" writing was an article about logistics in computer gaming, a little long winded, but might be of interest:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/the-practical-art-of-moving-armies.htm

When I was in, the Army had a hex based game called "Logwar" I believe.  Basically the idea was that the player was responsible for the rear area logistics chain.  It was still the Cold War (showing my age), so you had to respond to SPETNAZ attacks on the supply routes, and SCUD attacks.  I always thought it would make an interesting commercial game.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bob48

SPI's 'Campaign for North Africa' springs to mind, although it was just about unplayable. The only wargame that took longer to play than the actual campaign itself.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!