Discuss GrogCast Episode 18! (Yes, you can discuss both parts here)

Started by bayonetbrant, July 07, 2015, 08:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

King of the Tabletop can be found here:  http://annarchive.com/files/Drmg077.pdf

And if you're wondering why it's linked...  you should listen!

Updated graphics here on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/39111/carthaginians-cleaned-and-colored-counters-kott

Original counters here and here
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Heh.  I'd forgotten Victory Games published the James Bond 007 game.  Man I loved that RPG.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on July 07, 2015, 09:56:42 AM
Heh.  I'd forgotten Victory Games published the James Bond 007 game.  Man I loved that RPG.

I still have the boxed RPG and the You Only Live Twice adventure, too.

Bison

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 07, 2015, 03:24:49 PM
Quote from: Bison on July 07, 2015, 09:56:42 AM

I still have the boxed RPG and the You Only Live Twice adventure, too.

I also had the Q Manual and Goldfinger module.  Great system.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Episode 18 part 1
Terrible, terrible,
What do you mean this is the last episode? Lazy bums, you just ruined an hr of my weeks!  :P

Good episode. Welcome Bison, you present your thoughts well.

Regarding what is a wargame, read Philip Sabin's Simulating War. The whole chapter 1 is on the subject. I am not going to pull a snippet for anyone because you should have the book. You are remis if you dont. Do not infer he has a disagreement with the thoughts of the cast, just read it, the views are all worth thinking on.

That is all, i have to go start part 2.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 07, 2015, 06:29:08 PM
Regarding what is a wargame, read Philip Sabin's Simulating War. The whole chapter 1 is on the subject. I am not going to pull a snippet for anyone because you should have the book. You are remis if you dont. Do not infer he has a disagreement with the thoughts of the cast, just read it, the views are all worth thinking on.

Page 17, end of first paragraph on that page, endnote #79.  I'll wait for you to look it up ;)

Mr. Bigglesworth

Mr. Bigglesworth

panzerde

In comment on the discussion of CCG versus "traditional" game stores and the revenue that CCGs generate - I think Craig is right, but the outcome at least here in Indianapolis is that there are no game stores in Indianapolis that carry anything but CCGs and Warhammer/Fantasy Flight. No one carries any traditional board games anymore.

That's a pretty strong argument that the economics are heavily in favor of CCGs. I buy all my games online now because there are no FLGS's interested in my business.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bison

That's actually pretty surprising given the size of Indianapolis.  I'd think there'd be a traditional game store in that market.  Here's the other problem too.  So I went to my FLGS today and looked at Star Wars Armada, because I'm interested purchasing the game.  The FLGS wanted $99 before tax and $15 to $30 for the expansion ships.  Online I can get the base game for $65.  So do I support the FLGS and eat the extra $30 or save myself some money and order online?

Mr. Bigglesworth

Bison

They don't sell in bulk like the online retailers, so they'd make no money on the transaction.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Give them the opportunity to offer something. If the say F O, then you can happily take your business elsewhere. If they can come up with something worthwhile, you have a win-win. You risk losing 5 min on the phone.