A Game of Risk with a 4-Star General

Started by TheCommandTent, July 19, 2012, 07:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2012, 10:32:13 AM
^

OMG that is funny!  Now I have to watch old Saturday Night Live reruns because I seem to have missed this skit. 

Oh, and my dream would be to play Axis and Allies with Norman Schwarzkopf.  How sweet would that be?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Stormin' Norman would definitely kick all of our asses.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2012, 05:31:51 PM
Quote from: Windigo on July 19, 2012, 02:32:29 PM
Damn Mirth, I am always 'trying' to be funny... except when I talk AGW - nothing funny about that .... except the stupid deniers - can mock them

Well, you motivated me to look for sad panda smilies. Unfortunately they're so sad that they really don't do a good job of revealing the underlying apathy I would be harboring. So I guess you just get this instead:

that is indeed a good icon to mockdom
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

meadbelly

Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2012, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2012, 10:32:13 AM
^

Sorry. I guess I'm just jealous no one wants to get beaten my me in a game or Risk.

I take this means that the upcoming Grogheads Merchandise will NOT include a "I beat Longblade at Risk and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!"  t-shirt?

besilarius

Well, don't get caught up in the "How Great, Stormin Norman was".
He made at least one serious mistake.
If you recall the famous press conference, explaining the strategy and moves of the Coalition forces.  While discussing the left hook by V Corps, he referred to it as similar to the football play called a "Hail Mary."
Now that was invented by Rodger Dodger Staubach, while talking about  a last second pass into the endzone which won the game.  (And got him in hot water with Tom Landry, who didn't like the play, but that's another story.)
It is in football a last play, tried in desperation because you're not going to win, if it fails.
Any football fanatic looking at the move by V Corps would recognize it is not a receiver going at full speed on single coverage.  It was a tight, coordinated smash by all the divisions and the cavalry regiment of the Corps.
Rather than a Hail Mary play, it is Vince Lombardi's Packers Sweep.
Two pulling guards leading the fullback and halfback in a prepared maneuver.
Like Rommel's sweep to the right through the desert, the opponenets had a hard time stopping it.  They knew the Packers would sweep, they did it about 40% of their plays, but they did it so well, they couldn't stop it.
Same with VCorps. 
Norman mixed his metaphors.  Shame, Shame.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

meadbelly

^Good point.

Mixing his metaphors might degrade the awesomeness of his mocking my weak position in Ukraine.

I'm out.

Gusington

Ukraine is always weak in Risk. And I can forgive Stormin' Norman his mixed metaphors because he still helped get the Iraqis back across the Kuwaiti border.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd