Main Menu

Valor & Victory

Started by RyanE, June 01, 2018, 01:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradS62

Hoping they continue to add more content. It's combat mechanic is pretty solid and Squad Leader mod adds more immersion for this old player.

Rayfer

Nice find Brad on the squad leader mod....I haven't looked yet, but I wonder if it is on Steam, and if not can it be done from another site?

BradS62

I would try placing the mod in your Valor folder contained within Steam under steamapps/common. Then assets/counters/units.

Rayfer

Quote from: BradS62 on July 31, 2021, 03:44:06 PM
I would try placing the mod in your Valor folder contained within Steam under steamapps/common. Then assets/counters/units.

Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Grim.Reaper

Stalingrad DLC for $10...

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/valor-and-victory-stalingrad

====================

Hi Everyone,

We are pleased to announce that Valor & Victory: Stalingrad is out NOW.

Valor & Victory: Stalingrad is the first DLC for Valor & Victory, the squad-level tactical game set in World War II and based on the original counter board game.

In this DLC, a brand new playable faction has been introduced to the game: the Soviet Union. It comes with its own new units, support weapons, anti-tank guns, armour, transports and more.

Set in the Eastern front, fully featuring the entirety of the Battle of Stalingrad, perhaps the most important battle in World War II and turning point of the war. There are 14 new, exciting scenarios that follow the historic events as well as 13 new maps.

The new scenarios are extremely varied and will provide you with new and original tactical situations that you will need to face. Moreover, hills and ravines are included, blocking or enhancing LOS. Units can move around the terrain using hills and valleys without being seen by the enemy. On top of that new terrain types have been introduced, so you can have even more map variety.
The Stalingrad DLC will be released alongside a free update for the base game. This update will contain significant additions in the form of new content and features to better represent the close conflict of the era. These include: infantry mortars, flamethrowers and off-board artillery support as well as air support, snipers, minefields, and more.

Artillery has long been known as the king of the battlefield, but snipers were also a primary source of unseen fear. The Stalingrad DLC introduces them both to Valor & Victory.

Snipers are activated when an opposing infantry unit rolls a natural 12 while making an AP or AT attack. They have the ability to appear in cover within LOS of the attacking unit that triggered the sniper, simulating their ability to be lurking literally anywhere.

Enjoy the DLC and let us know what you think about it!

Con

In the spirit of Halloween - arise I command thee

Any grog impressions?  I am interested in this but its not a question of price but time - my gaming time is extremely limited lately.
I have Lock n Load and like the diversity of the campaigns (love Falklands) but it just hasnt pulled me in - almost a little too gamey for me
on the other hand Tigers on the Hun is too much mechanics and rules understanding
I am hoping valor might hit that sweet spot in between
Any comments would be useful
Thanks
Con

JasonPratt

I have nothing useful to add (although I own this, Tigers, and L&L's tactical games, so theoretically I could make a comparison if I wasn't so lazy.  :buck2: )

I just wanted to highlight that this tickled me...

Quote from: Con on September 30, 2022, 08:51:58 AM
on the other hand Tigers on the Hun is too much mechanics and rules understanding

Inadvertent pun: Tigers on the Hun!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Con

Ah well
Its what happens when I type on the Iphone

Con

Wolfe1759

Quote from: Con on September 30, 2022, 08:51:58 AM
In the spirit of Halloween - arise I command thee

Any grog impressions?  I am interested in this but its not a question of price but time - my gaming time is extremely limited lately.
I have Lock n Load and like the diversity of the campaigns (love Falklands) but it just hasnt pulled me in - almost a little too gamey for me
I am hoping valor might hit that sweet spot in between
Any comments would be useful
Thanks
Con

I have the original Lock n Load Heroes of Stalingrad and Tigers on the Hun(t)  :) as well as Valo(u)r and Victory.

Of them all my preference is V&V particularly in its current state as since release they have added (responding to player input) the likes of; fog of war, off board artillery, air support, random scenario generation, difficulty settings (dice bias), snipers, variable turn limits etc.

TotH is a good version of Squad Leader with lots of additional player created scenarios but a bit clunky in its interface and a bit bland in the graphics.

HoS is very nicely presented has some good user created scenarios and mods for different time periods and a nice version of the original board game.

V&V is to me Squad Leader (rather than ASL) as I like to remember it without having to check a rule book. If you have ever played SL you will probably pick up on all the main rules for V&V just by playing the tutorial scenario and then just use your dimly remembered SL instincts.

V&V is the easiest of the games to get into and in some ways is deceptively casual but really is just a more streamlined rule set / interface with similar cause and effect in your tactical decision making just with less rules crunch.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

JasonPratt

Hm, that comparison leads me to wonder, what games out there implement Advanced Squad Leader? (I've never played either ASL or SL, and yes I can feel my Grogcard spontaneously combusting.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

PeaceFlower

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on September 30, 2022, 05:26:06 PM
they have added (responding to player input) the likes of; fog of war, off board artillery, air support, random scenario generation, difficulty settings (dice bias), snipers, variable turn limits etc.

I vaguely remember this game lacked multi-level buildings at release.  Was that added or maybe I am confusing this game with another tactical level game?

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 30, 2022, 09:39:11 PM
Hm, that comparison leads me to wonder, what games out there implement Advanced Squad Leader? (I've never played either ASL or SL, and yes I can feel my Grogcard spontaneously combusting.)

Naw, your Gogcard is already ashes in your pocket.  Really?  No SL?  FWIW, some of the most memorable gaming moments I've had in the past 50 years are with SL, usually involving some lone berserk Russian squad overwhelming my German infantry defending fortified positions with interlocked fields of fire.....  It is truly a great game.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Boggit

I much prefer Valor and Victory to Lock and Load. It is much more fast paced than L&L and it reminds me of Squad Leader.

Whilst I like V&V for its pace and artwork, I do have my gripes about some of the combat mechanics...

Firing tends to be way too deadly even when troops are in heavy cover. I think fire combat needs to be nerfed so that in the main you assault suppressed defenders in cover to eliminate them.  A shootout between forces at range in hard cover results in lots of casualties and in the open it is suicidal. This tends to limit any advance to a stalemate early on. I've played games where troops are in houses and factories firing at one another and racking up lots of kills, whereas in reality although you'd get some kills at range you'd mostly do nothing or get suppressions (leading to its own problems with subsequent assaults)

The game would also benefit from
a map generator for different terrain typesl; and
for attackers to be able to have more troops. Often it seems that both forces are on parity and the lethality of the fire phases mean that the defender has an overwhelming advantage when the firefight starts.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

TitusGroen

Quote from: Boggit on October 09, 2022, 10:30:38 PM
Often it seems that both forces are on parity and the lethality of the fire phases mean that the defender has an overwhelming advantage when the firefight starts.

Isn't that the truth of how things work out in reality? I thought that's why its common doctrine to break overwhelming force against a dug-in defense.

Geezer

Thinking of picking up the bundle with my Matrix coupon.  Anyone have any thoughts on the AI?  I read that early on it was pretty bad and was hoping it had improved.  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw