USS Nevada located

Started by steve58, May 11, 2020, 01:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Even as world wars go, the U.S.S. Nevada was a resilient ship: It was the only battleship to get underway during the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, surviving bombs and torpedoes before the burning vessel was beached and later repaired. It trained its guns on German positions at Normandy on D-Day, and went on to support the invasions of Okinawa and Iwo Jima. At the end of the war, U.S.S. Nevada was selected as the central target for the first nuclear test at Bikini Atoll, where it survived a 23-kiloton aerial detonation (the bomb missed), as well as a second underwater detonation. Finally, on July 31, 1948, following a four-day naval gunfire exercise, the toughest ship of the Second World War was deliberately sunk in the Pacific by the U.S. Navy.

Now, thanks to archival research and underwater survey of more than 100 square miles of seafloor, the remains of the Nevada have been located 65 nautical miles southwest of Pearl Harbor.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/05/uss-nevada-shipwreck-discovered-pacific/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

DoctorQuest

I love this stuff.

Thanks for the link!
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JasonPratt

...the bomb missed? Like how? -- I thought they were testing ariel detonation with that one.

(They're talking about the famous Castle-Bravo shot, the underwater version of which has become famous in stock footage since the 50s for the colorful white cloud blooming up over the ocean, with leeeeetle tiny warships visible under it.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

The sortie of the BB Nevada was a high point that boosted morale during the Pearl harbor attack. It also had some officers terrified that the BB would be sunk in the harbor's entrance, trapping the ships still in it and preventing ships outside from entering, i.e. plugging our biggest naval base with a cork.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 11, 2020, 01:34:33 PM
...the bomb missed? Like how? -- I thought they were testing ariel detonation with that one.
OK. Who the hell misses with a NUKE?!?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

The blurb suggested that the bomb missed by being an aerial detonation; so I can think of two ways:

1.) They meant to detonate the bomb by a strike on the ship. (Unlikely.)

2.) They meant to detonate the bomb for an aerial blast directly over the ship, but the droppath skewed far enough to be significantly distant from the ship by the time detonation height was reached.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: solops on May 11, 2020, 01:41:02 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 11, 2020, 01:34:33 PM
OK. Who the hell misses with a NUKE?!?

Able Day/Gilda (a Mark III 23 kt bomb) missed.  The Baker/Helen of Bikini shot was a big hit (it was denotated under aroun 100 feet of water).