Explosion Reported in USS Bonhomme Richard

Started by Pete Dero, July 12, 2020, 02:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tripoli

Here's a good post on it on CDR Salamander's blog.  I agree with him, the vessel is a complete loss.  The investigation's report will be  interesting reading.
  https://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Con

He is right about the Navys overconfidence in their firefighting abilities.  Coming from an oil drilling family I have several examples of how differently the off shore oil platform damage control parties operate than the navy.  Its not an apples to apples comparison but overconfidence from the navy when they sent observers to watch oil drills was a common complaint.  The oil platforms have dealt with pretty massive fires and damage and many more that were prevented or mitigated by heroic efforts.  They have actual more hands on experience than the navy right now and better procedures and equipment.

Con

airboy

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Jarhead0331

Very sad. Hopefully she will sail again someday.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

airboy

Guess it will take a while to determine how this happened.

steve58

The Navy has decided there was too much damage and it would be too costly to repair, so will decommission her. :(

https://news.usni.org/2020/11/30/navy-will-scrap-uss-bonhomme-richard

Also, it sounds like the investigations into how the fires started are still on going.

steve58

Sir Slash

That is sad. Keelhauling's too good for that guy, or girl, and I don't even know what that is.  :knuppel2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

The one thing I would say about this, both as a Surface Warfare Officer and as a former prosecutor is to wait for the evidence.  As the earlier USS Iowa turret explosion investigation demonstrated, the USN is not above throwing innocent sailors under the bus.  I am not saying that  this is the case with regard to the USS Bonhomme Richard.  I'm simply saying to wait for the evidence and evaluate the case based on it.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Dammit Carl!

If true (the accusation, that is), then... >:(

Not a squid or even squid-adjacent, but that's a brother branch getting grief and I don't cotton too much to that.

Gusington

Just reading that it was only one person involved makes me stop for a second. The fire was so devastating that it basically rendered the ship a total loss. One person is capable of doing such damage?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd