Last US Civil War Widow dies at 101

Started by airboy, January 08, 2021, 05:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The last known Civil War widow died at 101 in Missouri.

She married a really old guy at the age of 17 and lived a very long time.

When I was an undergrad in the early 1980s, a history professor said that North Carolina was still paying Civil War Widow pensions and gave us the (trivial) dollar amount.  The amount had not been increased since the 1930s or 40s and inflation marches ever onward.

You can read about it here:
https://people.com/human-interest/last-known-widow-of-civil-war-veteran-helen-jackson-dies/

[Could not decide between weird news or military history].

al_infierno

R.I.P.  I bet she never imagined she would outlive her first husband when she married him.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

With the way things are going, something tells me there will be more Civil War widows in the future.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Pretty amazing. I would have guessed the last one would have died decades ago. Also amazing that the article mentions 'last known' - who knows who is still alive out there.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: Gusington on January 08, 2021, 06:29:16 PM
Pretty amazing. I would have guessed the last one would have died decades ago. Also amazing that the article mentions 'last known' - who knows who is still alive out there.

Man born in 1850, marries at 88 in 1938 with an 18 year old woman who dies at 101 in 2021.

It is a stretch.

Sir Slash

Not if you eat prunes every day, they keep you going.  :DD
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.