Main Menu

Jagged Alliance 3

Started by glen55, September 18, 2021, 10:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen55

Exciting news for those of us who still owe something to Queen Deidranna. Haemimont, publisher of Surviving Mars and Tropico, is taking on Jagged Alliance 3 and promises to try to make something that lives up to the game's legacy.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/jagged-alliance-3-is-coming-from-the-developers-of-surviving-mars

It sounds as if the basic structure is following the traditions of Jagged Alliance 2.

QuoteIt's set on an island and you can choose which region you wish to tackle next, an you'll be balancing turn-based battles alongside the meta-layer of reinforcing regions and dealing with responsive enemies. Some of the beloved mercenaries from previous games are returning, including Ivan, Buns, Tex and Len.

There will also be exploration and chats with NPCs, weapon modification and loot salvage, and online co-op multiplayer.

Logston also acknowledged that most the modern Jagged Alliance games over the past twenty years haven't been well-liked. "From the start our goal was to create a game that really does justice to the Jagged Alliance legacy," said Logston. "There's been a lot of titles that have been released since Jagged Alliance 2 that have had mixed - um, I'm going to say mixed - responses from the core fan base. It's been a really big deal to us to get into what those hardcore Jagged Alliance fans have and reevaluate everything we're doing through the lens of those hardcore fans."

On that front he namechecked Darius Kazemi's book on Jagged Alliance 2, calling it required reading for the development team.

Trying to temper my expectations, but Jagged Alliance 2 has to rank very high on the all-time greatest games list, especially when you consider when it came out. It has been often imitated but never duplicated. Here's hoping this doesn't turn out to be another dud.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

devoncop

Never played the originals and the imitators got horrendous reviews but I saw this news yesterday and it's definitely on my watch list. At least the Devs this time are reasonable.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm cautiously optimistic.  The gameplay looked a bit streamlined compared to the originals but they did something similar with the XCOM reboot and I still enjoyed it even with the stripped down tactical engine.  I did see Fidel and Ivan in the gameplay so there's hope that the black humour and personalities of the various mercenaries comes through.  That was a major part of what was missing in all the post JA2 titles, IMO.

hellfish6

They've tried to remake this game, paying homage to the original pair, so many times now. Some came close, but none met the challenge. I'll keep an eye on this one, in the hope that something comes out of it worth playing.