What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on August 18, 2021, 06:54:12 PM
Thanks AT, been wanting to read Musashi for a long time.

It is a long book...but worth it...:)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Whilst driving about yesterday, stopped off at a antique mall just over the line in Georgia and went straight to the book booth I remembered from a previous visit and walked away with two Stackpole WW2 books - Luftwaffe Aces, and some Otto Carius penned thing (Tigers in the Mud, iirc) so I got that in front of me.

Got the sinking feeling that once I cast off this mortal coil, they'll look at my library and say, "Hunh.  This guy must really have liked everyone but the U.S. during WW2, particularly the Japanese and Germans. Hmmm..."

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 19, 2021, 08:42:58 AM
Got the sinking feeling that once I cast off this mortal coil, they'll look at my library and say, "Hunh.  This guy must really have liked everyone but the U.S. during WW2, particularly the Japanese and Germans. Hmmm..."

Sounds like you might have a bucket list mission...plenty of great books on WWII US. If you need recommendations, I'm sure the guys on this board will be happy to help...

But I know what you mean...for WWII my library tends to lean toward Japanese and German subjects as well... 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Gusington

Me too. Don't forget Italy. And don't tell anyone!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 19, 2021, 09:22:53 AM
Sounds like you might have a bucket list mission...plenty of great books on WWII US. If you need recommendations, I'm sure the guys on this board will be happy to help...

But I know what you mean...for WWII my library tends to lean toward Japanese and German subjects as well...

Oh, for sure there are plenty of good books detailing U.S. things  (and if anyone wants a copy of  the entire U.S. Army Order of Battle in WW2, I'll DM you address of the antique place I was at - that bitch be a huuuge book), and I'm sure I've read a few of them.  Just isn't as interesting to me, per se, I guess.

Sir Slash

Right there with you Carl. But I got a few good books from the Allied side too, just for balance. Anything with tanks is my weakness.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

[Grandkids by the bookcase cleaning up my house after they find my half-chewed upon corpse lying beside the computer]

"Man.  Grandpa loved him some nazi shit, right?"

W8taminute

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 19, 2021, 11:15:57 AM
[Grandkids by the bookcase cleaning up my house after they find my half-chewed upon corpse lying beside they computer]

"Man.  Grandpa loved him some nazi shit, right?"

That is awesome and probably gonna be my fate as well.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Toonces

Musashi is very good!  But I've never quite finished it.  I keep re-starting, getting about 3/4 of the way through and then run out of steam. 

I just re-started it a few weeks ago.  Now I'm kinda fired up to stick with it through the end!

I picked it up at Epcot Center, in the Japanese gift shop of all places, back in about 2007 or so.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

That's the most Toonces tale I've read since your last post.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Toonces on August 25, 2021, 04:29:44 PM
Musashi is very good!  But I've never quite finished it.  I keep re-starting, getting about 3/4 of the way through and then run out of steam. 

I just re-started it a few weeks ago.  Now I'm kinda fired up to stick with it through the end!

I picked it up at Epcot Center, in the Japanese gift shop of all places, back in about 2007 or so.

Hang in there...so worth it!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Gusington

Now reading Constantinople 717-718, Crucible of History by Si Sheppard and Graham Turner (Osprey Campaign Series).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Now reading 'The Caliph's Splendor: Islam and the West in the Golden Age of Baghdad' by Benson Bobrick.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

And in my ongoing cycle of buying Nazi shit, picked up a very worn out copy of Hitler's Luftwaffe from Salamander Press.  Got it more for the pictures, the plane specs/stuff and the like over the written history bit, but will read it nonetheless.