What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: Longdan on March 25, 2013, 03:09:57 PM
Would you rather go to Vulcan or Vauxhall?  I can set you up with a hot date in Hobbema if you want.

I am certain you could, but I must take a pass on this generous offer...
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Longdan

Just call it cultural anthropology with a gunfight thrown in.  Party!!
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Gusington

Do I want to know what Vulcan or Vauxhall are?

Post impressions of Embers of War if you don't mind. I am interested in Asian colonial history pre-1945, especially Vietnam.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Longdan

Mostly it is from the 1940's and ends in the mid 60's.  We watched the rest on TV.

Gusington

Oh. Doesn't start after WWI?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Longdan

Starts in 1919 but the really important stuff happens after the Japanese are gone since that was a major interruption of everything previous.
WW2 ends around p99. Then there is 600+ pp of the rest.

Gusington

That's a long book. I may have to look elsewhere.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Longdan

Be not afraid long can equal full of knowledgey goodness stuff.

Gusington

I've read a few that long and if the writing is good it's ok.It's when the writing ia not so good that I get squeamish.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Longdan on March 24, 2013, 12:38:57 PM
Oh no.  But I spent some time working along the Thai-Laotian-Cambodian border region in the mid '70's.  Things were rather disorganised
there at that time and it was too exciting for a simple prairie boy like me.  Pretty country. Don't like the food.

did you love them long time?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

I have begun reading Richard Connoughton's Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear, for the 2nd time. I couldn't finish it the first time 10 years ago because I felt it dragged too much but this time around it reads better. Read 50 pages since yesterday.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm reading Naval Operations of the Campaign in Norway April-June 1940.  I'd earlier read a novel about the Norway campaign told from the perspective of a British Sgt and I realized that I really didn't know much about the campaign at all apart from the broadest strokes.  The naval campaign is fascinating and quite brutal.  I didn't realize that so many ships were lost by both sides during the campaign. 

Gusington

What kind of assets did Norway have?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Lots of old coastal forts and the world's 4th largest merchant fleet.  The Brits really wanted the Norwegan merchant fleet.  The Germans wanted a port from which they could ship out iron ore from Sweden and a way to ensure the Baltic was shielded from the Royal Navy.  The French wanted a front away from France so it wouldn't be a repeat of WWI. 

Staggerwing

It was mostly the British and Germans bashing it out among the Fjords. The Norwegians had only a few obsolete coastal defense ships and some patrol boats. The most potent naval weapons they fielded were really the shore batteries that sank one of the German heavy cruisers, the Blucher. The Norwegians actually had land-based torpedo launchers as well that they used to finish off the Blucher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Norwegian_Navy#History
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys