What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

LOL!  I feel your pain, Jason.  Just remember: only one more slog to get through -- you're almost there! 

I'm still working on The Princes of Ireland.  I'm now reading the second-to-last section, which means I'm about 80% finished with it. 

It's weird:  I would say the book isn't all that great a read, yet I find myself continuing to flip through the pages anyway...and the next thing I know, I've finished the section and am ready for the next one.  It would seem this is one read that's greater than the sum of its parts. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bob48

Just finished '2-1 Pony' by Charles.R.Carr about his tour of duty in 'Nam in the 9th Div. Now reading part 2 of 'Armoured Bears' which is about 3rd Panzer Div, and next in line is 'Ghost, Thunderbolt and Wizard' which is about cavalry commanders Mosby, Morgan and Forrest. All three are from Stackpole and were free downloads for the Kindle.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Greybriar

I'm reading The Judging Eye by R. Scott Bakker.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Martok

Despite my original resolution to move onto the next book on my list, I've ended up starting The Rebels of Ireland after all -- I found Princes to be just compelling enough to continue the saga.  Christopher Moore's Sacre Bleu will have to wait... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Shelldrake

I see that The Desert of Stars is out so will be picking it up for my weekend reading. I really enjoyed the first book in the series (Through Struggle, The Stars) and have high hopes for the sequel. :)

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bayonetbrant

I"m working on Africa's Commandos - review coming soon.

short version: one of the best non-fiction collections of military memoirs you'll ever find

http://www.amazon.com/AFRICAS-COMMANDOS-Rhodesian-Infantry-Airborne/dp/1907677755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376741346&sr=8-1
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Quote from: Greybriar on August 17, 2013, 02:15:03 AM
I'm reading The Judging Eye by R. Scott Bakker.

Excellent! Hope you enjoy it.

'Clip those corners'

Greybriar

Me, too, Bob. I wish I hadn't taken a break from the series as it was hard getting back in the groove.  ;)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bob48

I know exactly what you mean, but its worth the effort.

'Clip those corners'

BanzaiCat

I just started Ender's Game. Never read it before.

Next, who knows. I'd like to get Medium Raw read, maybe finish Tokyo Vice as well.

Kushan

I started reading A Game of Thrones the other day. I've already read it once but its been awhile. I got 1/3 of the way through the second book and quit reading. Hoping I can finally make it through the whole series this go around.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Shelldrake on August 17, 2013, 06:39:06 AM
I see that The Desert of Stars is out so will be picking it up for my weekend reading. I really enjoyed the first book in the series (Through Struggle, The Stars) and have high hopes for the sequel. :)

I Through Struggle the Stars on my Kindle waiting to be read. Just haven't gotten around to it. Is it worth the time?

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Kushan on August 17, 2013, 08:50:36 PM
I started reading A Game of Thrones the other day. I've already read it once but its been awhile. I got 1/3 of the way through the second book and quit reading. Hoping I can finally make it through the whole series this go around.

I did this same thing with the first book, at LEAST three times. I finally got past the hump and got into a roller-coaster of a ride. I'm currently on the fourth book, about 2/3 of the way through - and stopped yet again. It has nothing to do with the story, it's rather engaging; it's more just me finding shinier things to read right now.

MetalDog

B_C, enjoy Ender's Game.  I would suggest stopping there.  When I first read the book a few years ago, there were only three in the series.  Now there's like, eight.  And I encourage you and Kushan to finish A Game of Thrones.  The sixth book was disappointing (to me at least), but the other five I enjoyed quite well.  And with the wealth of characters, it's best to stay on top of it lest you miss some plot point that is crucial.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Shelldrake

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on August 17, 2013, 08:55:03 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on August 17, 2013, 06:39:06 AM

I Through Struggle the Stars on my Kindle waiting to be read. Just haven't gotten around to it. Is it worth the time?

IMO it is well worth it if you like military SF.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell