What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

How many books do you guys read (and finish) a month ??? I average about 4.....

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 16, 2012, 08:23:34 PM

You are doing better then me.  I have always been a slow reader.  So I usually get in about 1 book and a couple magazines a month... maybe.  But I usually only read in the evenings before I fall asleep.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

I recently switched from working straight days back to shift work (I guess I'm weird, but I love shift work.  And I get a week off every month).  On nights, as long as nothing goes haywire, I can get the majority of my work done about 4-6 hours into my 12 hour shift.  That leaves lots of time for reading while waiting for alarms to pop up so I'm averaging about 5-7 books a month.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 17, 2012, 12:56:06 AMThat leaves lots of time for reading while waiting for alarms to pop up so I'm averaging about 5-7 books a month.

You work at the Springfield Nuclear Powerplant? How are those two Fissionator 1952 Slow-Fission Reactors holding out? Still leaky?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

SDR PLEASE let me know if there are any openings!

Even with more time to read on the commute, I still average 1-2 books a month because I pass out asleep most of the time. If they are easy reads, like War of the Worlds or Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, I can get in 4-5 month.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

QuoteEven with more time to read on the commute

I take it that you don't drive to work - at least on your own  :)

Gusington

I used to car pool at my old job. Now it's a 75 minute train ride. As well as a 10 minute car ride, 10 minute ferry ride, and 20 minute walk.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on April 17, 2012, 10:05:50 AM
I used to car pool at my old job. Now it's a 75 minute train ride. As well as a 10 minute car ride, 10 minute ferry ride, and 20 minute walk.

Wholly crap! Each way?!? Man half yer life is passin by just commuting......

MIGMaster

Once they devise a transporter unit imagine all the free time people will have.

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 17, 2012, 10:44:54 AM
Once they devise a transporter unit imagine all the free time people will have.

IIRC that's what they said about computers. And cars. And airplanes. And telephones...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I spend 25 hours per week commuting. At my old job it was 10 hours per week. It's the price I pay to live in the woods and work in the city.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

We have 3 openings Gus.  Two are almost guaranteed to go to our two temp staff, but the third is still open.  Of course, you'd have to move to Vancouver where 1200 sq ft crack shacks sell for $1 mill+ and every single thing you buy is taxed at 12%.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 16, 2012, 08:23:34 PM

I normally go through about a book a year, but this year has been insane. I don't know why, but I'm flying through books every time I sit down to read. I track my reading on Goodreads. My goal for the year was 50 books. When I finish Galaxy in Flames, I'll already be through 25.  :o

MIGMaster

Whoah - you are well ahead of schedule ! I better get my ass in gear !