What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I've been playing a bunch of WOFF, so I decided it was time, once and for all, to figure out what the heck happened in WW1.

Thus, I've started reading A World Undone by G.L. Martin.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

have you read Castles of Steel?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

thats one of the WW1 classics.  very easy to read and a wealth of information on the naval/political aspect of the war.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Read Dreadnought first, also by Robert Massie. And while you're at it, read his Peter the Great book...two of my all time favorites.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Gusington on February 21, 2014, 08:17:02 AM
Read Dreadnought first, also by Robert Massie. And while you're at it, read his Peter the Great book...two of my all time favorites.

+1

Staggerwing

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on February 21, 2014, 08:34:36 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 21, 2014, 08:17:02 AM

+1

+1+1

That's the way to do it. Dreadnought has a whole lotta WW1 backstory as well as lots of insight into the English and German Naval politics at the turn of the 20th Century.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Awesome book, Dreadnought. Probably one of my top 10, maybe even top 5.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Well, I've begun my "Great Work" at last: 

Having purchased The Gathering Storm, The Towers of Midnight, and A Memory of Light (now that all three are out in paperback), I am rereading the entire Wheel of Time series from beginning to end -- straight. 

I haven't bothered with the math, but I know I have to plow through a minimum of 15,000 pages.  Given how my reading has slowed in the last decade or so, I'm honestly uncertain as to whether I'll get through the entire series before the end of the year -- I probably will, but I'm not about to blithely assume that's going to be the case! 

Pray for me, brothers.  I have a long journey ahead of me... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Toonces

^ Nice!

I burned out on WW1 pretty quickly.  I think I hit about the same point in World Undone that I got to last time when I put the book down and didn't pick it back up!

For my upcoming trip I'm bringing Musashi, A Place Called Armageddon on my Kindle, and that Yom Kippur book posted below, also on my Kindle.  And I also have about 70 other books on my Kindle, but those are the three I'm actually actively reading.

Gusington

^Even I get burned out on WWI and it's my favorite historical era. I think it's because it gets really depressing sometimes.

I just finished The Eagle Has Fallen by Brian Young which was unfortunately kinda disappointing, told totally from the Roman point of view with bad dialogue and almost no insight into Celtic culture. And it has great reviews on Amazon! I hate that.

Onward and upward...about to start In the Shadow of Empires: The Historic Vlad Dracula by Sir Jens and then Vlad: The Last Confession by CC Humprheys, recommended by Toonces.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Quote from: Martok on March 08, 2014, 01:30:37 PM
....I am rereading the entire Wheel of Time series from beginning to end -- straight....

Oh my God! That's may be even worse than the guy who claims that George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels are published so far apart that he rereads all the books in the A Song of Ice and Fire series each time a new book in the series is published.

I'll pray for you, Martok.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MetalDog

I always knew there was something a little off about Martok.  Now I know what it is ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

skeptical.platypus

I returned to Lucifer's Hammer after about a decade to get the bad taste of a couple of apocalypse/post-apocalypse failures. Damn, that's a fine novel.

I am currently reading Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312, on rumors that he had returned to Mars form. Can't say for sure. It started really, really slow, but thankfully has gotten more interesting. He does appear to have returned to the vision he's previously shown. I will likely take on his Shaman next; after that I have a handful of nebula and hugo nominees from the past couple of years that I'm not familiar with queued up.

I'm still rather shaken up by Iain Banks' passing.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

bob48

I just picked up 'Kursk, Hitler's Gamble 1943' by Walter.S.Dunn. Jr. Not started it yet, though.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!