What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 18, 2012, 02:14:04 PM
is eisenhorn the book about the inquisition - there is a 'trilogy' omnibus on amazon and i have a gift voucher to spend - just want to make sure ive got the right book

That's it - the trilogy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1844161560/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1844161560&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 18, 2012, 02:14:04 PM
is eisenhorn the book about the inquisition - there is a 'trilogy' omnibus on amazon and i have a gift voucher to spend - just want to make sure ive got the right book

There are two trilogies about the inquisition.  One is Eisenhorn...the other is called The Inquisition Wars.  This one follows the exploits of Inquisitor Jaq Draco.  It is in my opinion just as good, if not better than the Eisenhorn trilogy. That being said, either series constitutes some of the best warhammer 40K writing out there and you simply can't go wrong with reading either one or both.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2012, 02:06:08 PM
The Iron Hands are one of the first 20 twenty chapters and their Primarch, Ferus Manus, was murdered by his brother Primarch Fulgrim during the opening phase of the Horus Heresy. 

I cried when I read that part in the book.  It was tragic and I felt sorrow for both actually.  Fulgrim never really wanted to do what he did, but the powers of Chaos proved too much for him to fight off.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2012, 02:06:08 PM
Most of the Iron Hands were slaughtered at the Isstvan Drop Site Massacre.

Ah the Isstvan massacre.  When I first heard about this battle I thought it referred to the sadistic killing of a planets entire civilian population.  Awful enough, but what really made me cry was the discarding of Loken and other good Space Marines after the virus bombs dropped.  To see good men like that betrayed was an outrage.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on July 18, 2012, 02:48:48 PM
Awful enough, but what really made me cry was the discarding of Loken and other good Space Marines after the virus bombs dropped.  To see good men like that betrayed was an outrage.

Yes.  I was equally moved by these acts of betrayal.  However, you are aware of the fact that Garviel Loken did, in fact, survive the Drop Site Massacre and lived throughout the war on Isstvan III as a "Legion of One?"
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2012, 03:14:53 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 18, 2012, 02:48:48 PM
Awful enough, but what really made me cry was the discarding of Loken and other good Space Marines after the virus bombs dropped.  To see good men like that betrayed was an outrage.

Yes.  I was equally moved by these acts of betrayal.  However, you are aware of the fact that Garviel Loken did, in fact, survive the Drop Site Massacre and lived throughout the war on Isstvan III as a "Legion of One?"

Funny you ask that.  I really like Loken so much that I cheated and wiki'ed him to see what his fate was.  I just wanted to know some more details on how he died.  Turns out I was wrong and that he did indeed survive.  But being a "Legion of One", now that I didn't know.  Never knew he had it in him.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

undercovergeek

didnt know that either - i always consider it a great testament to the author when fiction can stir emotions that much - i was speechless and gobsmacked at the description of the virus bombs dropping

Gusington

For the guys who have read a lot of WH40K...does it start to get repetitive after a while or are the new releases routinely fresh?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on July 18, 2012, 07:54:53 PM
For the guys who have read a lot of WH40K...does it start to get repetitive after a while or are the new releases routinely fresh?

Hard to say.

I am kinda burned out, but it could just be I'm waiting for another great book.

The Ciaphas Cain series is great for the first two omnibi but I'm not loving this latest set for some reason. Good, just not great.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I suppose like anything, WH40K can get to be a bit much after the 10th title, especially if they are all uber-violent.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^It's not so much that they're uber violent.  There is no sensationalist wanton violence.  What is riveting however is the author's ability to describe the horrors of war, even if it's confined to the view of an individual soldier or soldiers.  I have to agree with undercovergeek's statement about the testament to the authors and their ability to stir up emotion.  I'm talking only from the Horus Heresy series though as I have not read anything else Warhammer.

Gusington

^You need to read some Space Wolves. They were my entry point last summer.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

I just finished Cain at Gettysburg by Ralph Peters.  I have to say I really enjoyed it.  It's not quite up to the gold standard of The Killer Angels as far as novels go, but it is more faithful to the history I believe.  Also, the book avoids most of the characters and events that appear in The Killer Angles to take you to other parts of the battle.  For example, Lee is more of a minor character in this book whereas Meade is the central figure.  I've always felt Meade is one of the most underestimated generals of the ACW so I really enjoyed a book written with his actions and perspectives in minf finally.

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on July 19, 2012, 08:39:44 AM
^You need to read some Space Wolves. They were my entry point last summer.

I'll have to check that out.   :)

Steelgrave

I just finished a really good sci/fi trilogy by John Scalzi, "Old Man's War", "Ghost Brigades", and "The Last Colony". Some well thought out concepts, good characters and a plot that moves right along. "The Last Colony" took an interesting turn and had a very satisfying ending, and all three books are highly rated on Amazon by readers. Well worth a read.