What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Arctic, if you'd like to know a little more about military history, try CWC Oman's Art of WAr in the Middle Ages.
It's pretty old right now, probably written a hundred years ago, but is still a great read.  He doesn't give you everything about a war, or a type of soldier, but touches on what he considers really important things to understand.
He expanded his original one volume work to two volumes, and I'd highly recommend reading this version. 
If you like military history, it is a good read that rarely drags.  You can usually get it via inter library loan.  Pretty certain it is still in print in England, but the chance of finding it for sale here, is almost nil, unless you have a great used book shop.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: besilarius on October 07, 2012, 04:58:08 PM
Arctic, if you'd like to know a little more about military history, try CWC Oman's Art of WAr in the Middle Ages.
It's pretty old right now, probably written a hundred years ago, but is still a great read.  He doesn't give you everything about a war, or a type of soldier, but touches on what he considers really important things to understand.
He expanded his original one volume work to two volumes, and I'd highly recommend reading this version. 
If you like military history, it is a good read that rarely drags.  You can usually get it via inter library loan.  Pretty certain it is still in print in England, but the chance of finding it for sale here, is almost nil, unless you have a great used book shop.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find it anywhere around these parts.

undercovergeek

Quote from: W8taminute on September 20, 2012, 08:19:08 AM
^When you start reading Battle for the Abyss let me know what you think.  I'm about half way through it now and it's good.

wow!! just finished, it could be my favourite so far - relentless from page 1 to the end - a great read..............

Mechanicum next, i see your avatar by the way!

W8taminute

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 09, 2012, 06:33:53 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on September 20, 2012, 08:19:08 AM
^When you start reading Battle for the Abyss let me know what you think.  I'm about half way through it now and it's good.

wow!! just finished, it could be my favourite so far - relentless from page 1 to the end - a great read..............

Mechanicum next, i see your avatar by the way!

Yeah!!  Battle for the Abyss was definitely relentless from beginning to end.  What a spectacular ending!  I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.  I'm so ready for Mechanicum as you can see but this XCOM: Enemy Unknown game I started playing last night is taking over my life!  :D
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Silent Disapproval Robot

I just bought Bernard Cornwell's 1356 for the Kindle.  It's the 4th in his series about an English longbowman fighting in the Hundred Years' War.

It's been so long since I read the last one (2003) that I don't remember much.  I think I might start over from book 1.

Toonces

I'm working my way through two books right now.  First is The Deluge Vol. 1 by Henryk Sienkiewicz, a follow-up to the previous novel With Fire and Sword.  Once again, I'm finding it a very good book and a real page-turner.

Second up is The Simirillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.  It is much easier to read than I thought it was going to be, and the introduction (sort of a synopsis of the book) really fleshes out The Lord of the Rings.

The Deluge:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Deluge-Henryk-Sienkiewicz/dp/1148732896/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350280717&sr=8-1&keywords=the+deluge+sienkiewicz

There is a free kindle version also (which I am reading).  With Fire and Sword is also free (and you should read it first if you're going to take on "The Trilogy".)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

W8taminute

I just picked up Ayn Rands 'Atlas Shrugged' but at over 1000 pages in teeny tiny print I have no idea when I'll finish it.  Especially since I'm trying to complete as many books in the Horus Heresy series before the end of the year.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

Toonces, hope you dig the Silmariliion.  LotR made so much sense with the entire history laid out behind it.

@Republic: My uncle says something similar, "You can lead Einstein to a chalkboard, but you can't make him think."
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Toonces

Right now I'm reading A Crown in the Heather, book 1 of The Bruce Trilogy about the war between Scotland and England in the 13th/14th centuries.  I don't know too much about this part of history, so it's all new. 

The book got sort of mixed reviews on Amazon, but Book 1 was only $0.99 so I figured it was worth the gamble.  I'm 22% done so far and it's interesting enough. 

There is also another Bruce Trilogy that is only in print.  I'm going to pick that version up soon as well.

A Crown in the Heather:  http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Heather-Bruce-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B003V5X9N6/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

I'm also working my way through The Deluge, Part 1 (of 2).  Pretty good, although it's just a long book no matter how you slice it.  I like the story, though.  It's free, so what's to complain about?

The Deluge:  http://www.amazon.com/Deluge-Historical-Poland-Russia-ebook/dp/B005JEE7T2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1351382618&sr=1-1&keywords=the+deluge+sienkiewicz

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Arctic Blast

Eldritch Tales, an HP Lovecraft collection.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Toonces on October 27, 2012, 07:04:01 PM
Right now I'm reading A Crown in the Heather, book 1 of The Bruce Trilogy about the war between Scotland and England in the 13th/14th centuries.  I don't know too much about this part of history, so it's all new. 

The book got sort of mixed reviews on Amazon, but Book 1 was only $0.99 so I figured it was worth the gamble.  I'm 22% done so far and it's interesting enough. 

There is also another Bruce Trilogy that is only in print.  I'm going to pick that version up soon as well.

A Crown in the Heather:  http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Heather-Bruce-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B003V5X9N6/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

I'm also working my way through The Deluge, Part 1 (of 2).  Pretty good, although it's just a long book no matter how you slice it.  I like the story, though.  It's free, so what's to complain about?

The Deluge:  http://www.amazon.com/Deluge-Historical-Poland-Russia-ebook/dp/B005JEE7T2/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1351382618&sr=1-1&keywords=the+deluge+sienkiewicz

The Bruce trilogy - CkII inspired?

Airborne Rifles

Found a cheap book by accident called Resurrection Day by Brendan DuBois.  It's a murder mystery set in a 1972 Boston where the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis went hot resulting in the destruction of the USSR and several US cities.  America is still recovering and Britain, France, Germany, and Japan are the world powers vying for influence in the struggling US, and this all ties into the murder.  Well written and researched.  I thought about putting this in the WWIII literature thread but seemed more appropriate here.

http://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Day-ebook/dp/B00702ZBNC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351433434&sr=8-2&keywords=resurrection+day

Gusington

^That sounds great!

Arctic tell me more about Eldritch Tales. I have a few Lovecraft collections but they are pretty old.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on October 28, 2012, 10:04:24 AM
^That sounds great!

Arctic tell me more about Eldritch Tales. I have a few Lovecraft collections but they are pretty old.

There's actually quite a few quick little short stories in it that I haven't seen elsewhere. The downside is, some of them are clearly B-side type material.

mirth

Quote from: Bismarck on September 22, 2012, 04:27:29 PM
Lynn's Battle and MacPherson's excellent War on the Water

War on the Water is fantastic. I'm currently reading it, about halfway through. It's a real gem.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus