What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on December 30, 2012, 10:31:26 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on December 30, 2012, 07:43:24 AM
Sherlock Holmes: 24 Classic Short Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

My favorite read of all time.  Sherlock Holmes.  I think I've read the complete collection 5 or 6 times.

I've read it at least twice.  And with my perpetual short term memory loss, it's like new stories every time :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bob48

Quote from: MetalDog on December 30, 2012, 12:36:33 PM

My favorite read of all time.  Sherlock Holmes.  I think I've read the complete collection 5 or 6 times.

I've read it at least twice.  And with my perpetual short term memory loss, it's like new stories every time :)

...so, you may have actually read it more than twice........... ;)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

Quote from: bob48 on December 30, 2012, 01:54:38 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 30, 2012, 12:36:33 PM

...so, you may have actually read it more than twice........... ;)

That certainly is a possibility, bob.  Although, I would have to remember what it is we were talking about in order to verify anything for sure.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Just started David Weber's Midst Toil and Tribulation, the sixth book in his Safehold series.  I received it as a Christmas gift (it was at the top of my list!).  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

That actually sounds like a really good series Gus.  I might have to read that myself.

Staggerwing

I have the first book on my Kindle but have not gotten to it yet. I really do need to move it up a few notches in reading order though...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Yeah I remember looking at it a while back. The collaborative thing sounds a little odd and there are some 'meh' reviews but how bad could a series about surviving the Mongol invasion be?

'Wing be our guinea pig and read that som'bitch.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Alright but I'll need to juggle it with reading a certain Xmas present book as well. Also, don't expect any book report beyond what a 10 9 year old might write...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 30, 2012, 08:50:12 PM
Alright but I'll need to juggle it with reading a certain Xmas present book as well. Also, don't expect any book report beyond what a 10 9 year old might write...

As if anyone was expecting or willing or had the ability here to do anything better.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on December 30, 2012, 08:16:58 PM
Anyone read The Mongoliad?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1612182364/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You guys need to stop posting these interesting looking books.  I am a horribly slow reader and my reading list is already to long.  ::)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Longdan

I read a few entries and I find myself in the bookstore
with no memory of how I got there.......
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Gusington

I used to read voraciously when I commuted on the train but now that I don't anymore I read mostly on the can and late at night, which has turned me into a slow reader. When I get desperate, like with the 2nd half of Guns of August, I will speed read.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

I got this for Christmas...

so I guess I will be reading it
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

Quote from: Windigo on December 31, 2012, 01:21:54 PM
I got this for Christmas...

so I guess I will be reading it

Nice Christmas present. I'm jealous. I got dress socks and a desk organizer.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus