1830 via Rails

Started by rstites25, October 04, 2016, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstites25

I don't think there's any advantage to putting a token on the gray hex. Token placement basically accomplishes three things:  1) provides a starting point to run trains from, 2) ensures that the company will always be able to pass through a hex, or 3) block other companies from running through a hex. Placing the B&) token in K15 accomplishes none of these. It's a dead end hex than cannot be upgraded. Your token in J14 guarantees that you'll be able to run to K15 regardless. Your company can only run a particular track segment one time in a turn, so you couldn't double up and run J14 to K15 followed by K15 to J14.

From my little experience with 1830, a token by the B&O in J14 (the green "X" tile) can be a good early play if the B&O has a lot of 2-trains. It allows runs from J14 to K13 (offboard red), J14 to K15 (gray) and K14 to I15. Those three runs are typically much more profitable than anything the other early RRs can put together (at least so quickly). But I can't see how the token in the gray tile helps out.

If you'd like to take back the placement of the token, I'd be ok with that.

Woodall

Okay, thanks. I don't have the rules here and I didn't think it would help, but wasn't sure. Here's the corrected file.

rstites25

NYNH done. Over to Chris/CPR.

rstites25

Woodall

I think we can go ahead and call this one defunct. That said, I'm enjoying Indonesia, even though I'm quite out of contention. SlothNinja sure makes it easy to play.

l'amour

It will take a million years to finish the game at this rate.

How about another go at Indonesia (after I complete my heroic win) with a game of Food Chain Magnate in tandem, and then move onto The Great Zimbabwe once it's available? Then we can all get matching Splotter tattoos.

egg_salad

My problem with sloth ninja is it makes it too easy to play.  I have not spent the time I should considering my moves.  It's just.. hey look what happens when I click here!
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

egg_salad

Somehow l'amour got 2 TV dinner companies?  I think somehow that is bad.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

rstites25

Quote from: jwoodall04 on January 06, 2017, 03:47:12 AM
I think we can go ahead and call this one defunct. That said, I'm enjoying Indonesia, even though I'm quite out of contention. SlothNinja sure makes it easy to play.

I'm not sure if it's the change to a forum that we don't each frequent multiple times a day or what, but CE/WC wouldn't have worked at the rate we're playing.

Slothninja works great. The only thing that is missing is that it doesn't work very well for banter/game conversation. I only check it when it's my move, and even then I don't always check the messages. Perhaps going forward, we should start an accompanying forum thread for the game to better facilitate conversation? That might help with what Mike is saying about just playing and not thinking.

Also, there's apparently now an online implementation of Pax Porfiriana with rules enforcement. I don't remember which site it's on off the top of my head, but that might be worth giving another try. It might be a better asynchronous experience for Pax than VASSAL was.

l'amour

It's Yucata I believe. I found Pax P a bit flat on Vassal but I'd give it another bash on a different format.

rstites25

Quote from: l'amour on January 06, 2017, 10:39:40 AM
It's Yucata I believe. I found Pax P a bit flat on Vassal but I'd give it another bash on a different format.

I'm 99% sure you're correct. The only thing that was coming to mind was Zun Tzu, and I knew that wasn't right. 

Woodall

Binkman just seems to have other priorities these days. Our TUSCW game dropped off as well, though it was fairly sorted out by the time he went AWOL. As far as messaging... I think its just that we're forced to post to share the file, rather than playing with the software and just so happening to look at the message box.

bayonetbrant

hey guys - brief admin interruption here :)

There's a Fire In The Lake online game starting up that's looking for another player or two.  I know some of you have experience with the COIN system and thought you might be interested

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=18567.0

back to the trains! O0
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

rstites25

Well played in the Indonesia game l'amour. I don't think your first shipping company getting bought out from under you hurt you any.  ;D

You guys want to play again? I'd like to. I'd also be up for a game of FCM like l'amour suggested.

Woodall

I'm up for either - probably not diving into that coin game though. Playing all this other crap while learning ASL is enough for my head.