1830 via Rails

Started by rstites25, October 04, 2016, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstites25

I'm in.

Now I'll just have to remember how to play [competently].

egg_salad

Quote from: rstites25 on January 15, 2017, 11:44:43 AM
I'm in.

Now I'll just have to remember how to play [competently].

Oh, are there prerequisites?  I've never been able to play competently.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

rstites25

FCM seems much more difficult to play by the seat of your pants. Since there's such a lag between making a move (hiring) and it's consequences actually coming into play, seems like you have to have some semblance of a plan.

l'amour

I think it goes both ways. You'll not do well if you can't react to what's going on.

rstites25

But because of the lag, even to react, you've got to be planning ahead.

egg_salad

Quote from: rstites25 on January 15, 2017, 05:10:45 PM
FCM seems much more difficult to play by the seat of your pants.

Challenge accepted!

Woodall

Could one of you post the rules for FCM? Been sick for a week and just now getting to it.

rstites25

The pdf is available in BGG's files section. It's too large to post here, or I would.

Woodall

I can't access BGG. I have a Dropbox account though.

Well, maybe I can long enough to download the file.

Woodall

egg_salad

Something to keep in mind for our next round of gaming, if you guys are interested.
http://www.rollingstock.net/

rstites25

Quote from: egg_salad on January 18, 2017, 12:13:50 AM
Something to keep in mind for our next round of gaming, if you guys are interested.
http://www.rollingstock.net/

Didn't realize there was an online implementation of Rolling Stock. I was able to get a PNP copy printed up last summer when ArtsCow ran a deal on 3 decks of cards for ~$15-$20.

l'amour

I've never heard of it. I'll have a look into it.

l'amour

Rex, I had a feeling you were going to put your shop there. I was regretting not placing over the tile edge.

rstites25

Quote from: l'amour on January 18, 2017, 10:04:08 AM
I've never heard of it. I'll have a look into it.

It's 18XX sans the RR network and train rush. It's purely about buying companies. The interesting thing is that there are a bunch of private companies that produce a base revenue. But depending on what other companies you own, the revenue(s) may increase based on the synergy between companies (this is completely deterministic and predictable). So your goal to get companies that work well together. But those aren't stock companies, they're just purely 100% ownership privates. The game adds an extra layer of being able to start stock companies that you sell the privates to. You get to determine how many shares you issue initially and get to set the IPO price (within a range). The stock price is a function of the revenues the privates you sell into the stock company generate. If a stock company doesn't acquire/lose any privates, and it's revenue remains constant, the stock price will eventually settle at an "actual" price for the shares. The game ends up being about figuring out how to leverage these stock companies to "create" cash to finance future private purchases--which is easier in theory than in practice.