1830 via Rails

Started by rstites25, October 04, 2016, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodall

Works for me... we'll see how it goes. Maybe we won't have a disastrous path. Unfortunately can't access the rolling stock website from work, so my turns will be slower than normal.

egg_salad

Ok, now I should look at the rules.

Please hold..
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

egg_salad

I'm bored reading rules.  Auction started!

Woodall

I don't really know why I bid anything on that. Probably should just buy for face and see what happens.

rstites25

Yeah. I'm not sure these first companies are worth anything over face value. Once the second group of companies comes out and it becomes clear what synergies are possible, then there will probably be some that are worth more than face value, at least to some people.

rstites25

Also, e-mail notifications for the rolling stock cite seem to be working, but mine was sent to my spam folder. If you're not getting them, you might check there.

egg_salad

Nobody is getting anything for face value until I run out of money!

rstites25

With Rolling Stock up and running, maybe we should brainstorm about what to play next so we can get l'amour back involved.

Any interest in -

Age of Steam?
another go at 18XX?
go back to somethign we've played before like Chicago Express?

Other suggestions?

egg_salad

I'd probably be up for almost anything.

Woodall

So, I can't login to my rolling stock account and when trying to reset password it says invalid code. Not sure what is going on but I'll have to try from home.

I'd be up for Age of Steam or Chicago Express. Also, wouldn't mind playing 1846 or 1889.

l'amour

I'd be up for more CE, B&O or Indonesia in a couple of weeks or so, whenever you finish the current game. I don't know much about Age Of Steam but I'm sure I could be talked in to it. Of the 18xx options, 89 or 62 would be my preferences, if online implementations are available. Although, I'm not sure if these games are at their best online..

Does anyone know if an online implementation of Small City exists?

egg_salad

Quote from: l'amour on March 07, 2017, 09:23:13 AM
I'd be up for more CE, B&O or Indonesia in a couple of weeks or so, whenever you finish the current game. I don't know much about Age Of Steam but I'm sure I could be talked in to it. Of the 18xx options, 89 or 62 would be my preferences, if online implementations are available. Although, I'm not sure if these games are at their best online..

Does anyone know if an online implementation of Small City exists?

I have been itching to play Small City!  No idea if there is an online version.

Or, isn't there an online version of Antiquity somewhere (yes, on boardgamecore!)?  I think Small City reminds me of this, with the tetris like city planning.

Woodall

I have to agree that 18XX isn't so wonderful online due to the stock rounds. The Indonesia implementation and pace was wonderful. Are you guys interested in any of the other games on that website? Found it pretty easy to use. Also, l'amour, I'm fairly certain you'd like Age of Steam and it has a much better process for Vassal/online play than the 18XX series.

Also, I do still play wargames (even other than ASL!), if you guys ever want to get back to real gaming. ;)

l'amour

Of the slothninja crop, I would happily have a go at Tammany Hall. That site is pretty handy, can do it on the phone and everything!

A wargame would be good too. Not sure what though...

rstites25

I'll play whatever you guys want, but the other games at SlothNinja don't really jump out at me. Tammany Hall might be alright, though.

If we wanted to play a wargame, Successors might be a good choice, as it's four players and not overly complicated. I can't recall off the top of my head how interactive a player's turn is. (I think there might be opportunities for interception/withdrawal...don't think there were any interrupt cards). If we did that, I'd also like to keep a second economic game going, as my experience with wargames PBEM is that they don't play nearly as quickly.

For economic games, Indonesia is the simplest because of the sloth ninja interface. We could also revisit Wabash. If we wanted to tackle Age of Steam, the base map would probably be the best bet. It looks like it plays best at 4 or 5, and 4 should be more forgiving just because we wouldn't be bumping into each other too much. I can't remember if the AoS VASSAL module is available at the website (and if it is, it may just be the base map), but I have the module and access to the various maps that have been made. (There's a closed Yahoo group that basically has no activity but does have the various modules/maps. Because its originally a Winsome game and all the dispute between Boehner and Wallace, I don't think they allow much to be posted to the VASSAL site).

AoS would probably work really well by VASSAL. The game is very AP prone, so PBEM would give everyone time to think about their moves without feeling the time pressure to make a move quickly so you don't have everyone just sitting around waiting on you.