Volcano Lightning Pictures

Started by TheCommandTent, June 16, 2012, 08:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

The link below is a small gallery of lightning spawned by volcanoes.  There are some pretty incredible pictures there.  I assume though, that most have been touched up or enhanced?

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/volcano-lightning-slideshow/volcano-photo-1339796177.html

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Sweet googly moogly that's cool!

Thanks, Tent!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

I think I had heard about lightning and volcanoes but I did not realize that the volcanic activity and ash clouds caused its own lightning.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

I think they have been digitally touched up. Here's a link to the Nat Geo site. These look kinda raw: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2012/06/pictures/120611-volcano-lightning-volcanic-redoubt-eos-science/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on June 16, 2012, 09:23:03 AM
I think they have been digitally touched up. Here's a link to the Nat Geo site. These look kinda raw: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2012/06/pictures/120611-volcano-lightning-volcanic-redoubt-eos-science/

Enhanced, probably, but using a program that brings out the lighting in the lightning (hee hee). I have a friend who has this program, you take three pics and the programs matrixes the color in each into a richer tone. Those three pics are done with a slower exposure speed, so that the picture gets saturated.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Mr. Bigglesworth

If you want to learn the spell that I used to cast those I will sell it to you for $999. As an added bonus you get the make volcano spell Free! Act now, as this is a limited time offer! Operators are standing by for your call!  ;)
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

son_of_montfort

And here I thought all spells cost $666.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert