Age of Steam game

Started by rstites25, March 26, 2017, 12:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l'amour

I am heartened by this as i have no idea what I'm doing.

rstites25

Quote from: egg_salad on May 05, 2017, 12:50:02 PM
Quote from: jwoodall04 on May 05, 2017, 12:48:36 PM
I'm just trying to dig myself out of my take shares you don't need hole, so you're in good company.

This game is completely kicking my ass and stressing me out.  Will I ever make money?  Keeps me interested, though.

It's a constant grind, especially early. I played multiple games solo several years ago, and that was probably the most mentally taxing solo experience I've ever had. I was playing rust belt, but with the full complement of players, so the map was incredibly crowded. Coming up with a basic plan for all the players was just too much work (I even started using Excel to track how much each player would need for its "plan"). It's like it's a combination of the aspects necessary to make an interesting multiplayer solo Euro game and the butterfly effects of player interaction that are typical of Winsome games. You're constantly fighting against the game to keep your ahead above water (like a multiplayer solitaire Euro) but also having to deal with what what the other players are doing. Are they going to steal my cube? My build? My action? You can mitigate the inter-player problems by bidding to go first, but you compound the way the game is working against you by going further in debt.

Woodall

I guess one doesn't generally dig out of a hole.

egg_salad

Ok, I made some non optimal plays.

Someone took move goods first, I think?
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

rstites25

First build but no first move. I delivered a yellow good to take my income to $11. l'amour is up.

l'amour

Increased my income by 2. Still pitifully far behind Stites.

Woodall

Looking a bit sparse over in the SW

rstites25

Something to keep in mind Woodall, if you deliver that other Gray cube for another $3 income, you'll be at $11, which is just across the threshold where you'll go back two spaces at the end of the turn (you'd still get $11 this turn). But if you make a 2-link delivery, you'll not lose anything this turn (but only get $10 cash).

Woodall

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have a 2 link play. Probably just throw the blue cube for 1.

egg_salad

Delivered a purple for 2.  Back around to the top.

rstites25

Another 3-delivery. l'amour is up.

egg_salad

Just played Brass this weekend.  I liked it.  You guys ever played?

Also noticed the App was on sale (through the 12th?):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cublo.brass&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brass/id933026434?mt=8

Looks like it might have an online game option.   ;)

Woodall

Yeah, I played it a long time ago and also Age of Industry. Didn't like the development pace of Age of Industry. Thought Brass was paced a lot better, but I think I'd honestly like something in the middle of both of them. I think it is probably a better game for me than Age of Steam, but quite a bit more opaque and harder to get folks to the table. Not that I play economic games face to face or anything. :)

l'amour

Delivered a goody for 2 income.

Woodall

I'll just move the blue cube in the SW for 1 if you want to move it along Mike. No access at work. I'll do a log when I get home, if not.