Vietnam 1965-1975

Started by rstites25, June 23, 2017, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drep

Revealed/eliminated the dead units and then put about 12 more units on patrol at the start of the operations phase. Uploaded a game log and a save file.

JasonPratt

Okay, let's try this rule-upload again. This time in two pdfs, half each.

To quote my late pupil's favorite Chinglesh phrase: SUCCESS HAS BEEN OCCURRED!!  :))
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

rstites25

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 05, 2017, 06:16:26 PM
Okay, let's try this rule-upload again. This time in two pdfs, half each.

To quote my late pupil's favorite Chinglesh phrase: SUCCESS HAS BEEN OCCURRED!!  :))

Thanks for doing that.

mirth

Quote from: rstites25 on July 05, 2017, 09:23:21 PM
Thanks for doing that.

+1 I have a printed copy, but it's nice to have the PDFs.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

drep

Quote from: mirth on July 05, 2017, 09:24:36 PM
Quote from: rstites25 on July 05, 2017, 09:23:21 PM
Thanks for doing that.

+1 I have a printed copy, but it's nice to have the PDFs.

Yeah, my copy of the rules is getting a little worn already and I haven't touched this game much since I got it in the 90s. Thanks for the PDF since I'll be able to print and annotate.

Rex, I wasn't very explicit about it, but it's the US option to do an operation.

rstites25

I assumed I was up, just had to spend some time figuring out what to do.

I deferred the choice a bit longer by choosing something simple.

4-2-6 SVN unit and 6-4-7 FWA unit with 8 Air support.

Your option on an alert roll.

drep

That's a 3 0 1 VC Battalion. I'll pass on the Alert roll and see if I can inflict some casualties.

drep

A 3 0 6 VC Battalion I mean. Maybe if they had to low-crawl the whole time they'd be 3 0 1  :)

rstites25

If they were all 3-0-1, the US's job would probably be a lot easier.

It ended up being 17 Strength against 3 strength, giving a +5 DRM fro a 5:1 ratio. No terrain modifiers. Losses for both were on the 8-13.5 column. Roll was a 1, which gave 1A/2D losses, with a +2 pursuit result.

You have the option to eliminate the unit (instead of using replacement points), retreating, or standing and fighting. If you stand, I'll have to fight again since the base pursuit of my units is 0. But I'll get an additional +2 DRM for unused pursuit.

drep

drep

Actually 3765 should be possible, right? I'll do that.

rstites25

I continue my great rolling.

I moved the Korean unit adjacent to your hex, but then just attacked with the SVN unit to take advantage of its +2 unused pursuit. The reduced strength dropped the ratio to a +3 instead of  a +5. So I got the same modifiers under either, and figured the smaller combat strength would expose me to less casualties. It ended up being a net +4 with all the modifiers. I rolled a 1. That ended up being 1 attacker loss (on the 4 to 7.5 column) and 1 defender loss on the 8 to 13.5 column. Because of a quirk in the CRT, had I used the other unit instead of taking advantage of pursuit, I would have had a 0/1 result instead.

With the low roll, I'm still at a +2 pursuit. You have the same options as before.

(I couldn't move your VC unit, but I could move the target hex marker, so that makes it a little bit easier to track. )

drep

I'll head for the mountains in 3863

rstites25

I think that will do it for this operation. I can't get there with my pursuit bonus, and have decided against bringing in reserves (not sure I could get adjacent with them anyway). Do you want an operation, or would you like me to continue?

drep

I'll let the US take another operation