Chinook Action

Started by JudgeDredd, June 28, 2012, 03:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Most cool! Where was this and what was going on? Also, now this must be your next modeling assignment!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

I'm more into WWII than modern - and I've never really had the urge to do helicopters
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Oh - and it was in Colchester. There's a big field called Abbey Fields and it was at the centre of the Garrison. I say "was" because the garrison has moved for the most part.

Anyway - the helicopters came in low whilst I was watching my daughter run the 600m for her school...so I took some pics with my Olympus SP-610UZ
Alba gu' brath

mirth

The Chinook is one ugly, awesome bird. Great pics!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

My DS in basic was a SAR tech (search and rescue) and he always referred to them "Shithooks".
Never explained why....

Centurion40

Quote from: Barthheart on June 28, 2012, 08:05:13 PM
My DS in basic was a SAR tech (search and rescue) and he always referred to them "Shithooks".
Never explained why....

How wild, a SAR Tech as a DS.  I never would have expected that.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Barthheart

Quote from: Centurion40 on June 30, 2012, 05:30:58 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 28, 2012, 08:05:13 PM
Never explained why....

How wild, a SAR Tech as a DS.  I never would have expected that.

Yeah... crazy frenchman with handlebar mustache!  :o

bob48

I remember reading about the 4 Chinook Gunships that served in 'Nam before the Cobra went into service.
Only one survived to go back home.

If I remember correctly, 1 shot itself down when the mounting of one of the 20mm failed, the gun elevated and shot off the front rotors. Another one crashed on landing somewhere, and one went down during Tet and was destroyed  by friendly mortar fire to prevent the VC from recovering any weapons. That was at Hue, I think.

In general, they were apparently quite successful, given the amount of firepower that they could put out, and had a good endurance, but were replaced by the AH1, so no further models were produced.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

so its not Mrs D coming home from work then?  :o