My next bicycle - which one?

Started by JudgeDredd, July 06, 2012, 01:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Well, basically my brand new 5 week old Specialized Secteur Triple was faulty. Seriously loud, annoying rattling from the front left brake/gear mechanism, creaking noise coming from the front sprocket/pedal mechanism and the free hub was grumbling. So it went back...a real, real shame because the bike was very comfortable and I loved the look and feel of it.

So - I need a new bike. Not knowing a great deal about bicycles and makes, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of good bike manufacturers.

It has to be a road bike because I do all my riding on the road - and of "racer" breed - whilst I am a bit of a fatty, I don't do "leisurely" cycling...everywhere I cycle I cycle full pelt. No plodding along for me. Also I have a budget of £700 - possibly £800 but definitely no more

I know about Scott, Specialized and Bianchi - what about others...Trek? Carrera? GT? Felt? Any others?
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

W8taminute

Hi Judge,

I posed your question to my brother in law.  He's a biking fanatic.  Every chance he gets is spent on bicycles and he owns 2 road/race and 1 mountain bike. 

Here's what he is raving about.  One of his friends picked this up.  I'm not sure what you're willing to spend but this is one beautiful bike:  http://www.giantnerd.com/tommaso-superleggera-pro-road-bike.html?avad=43735_d2f10b0b&utm_source=avantlink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=avantlink%2Bsales
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JudgeDredd

Thx W8taminute.

I've updated my post to say budget (£700 maybe £800) or in Monopoly money $1100 - $1250 - so not that one - but thanks for the info anyway. I'm not going to do trials or competition - EVER - not even for fun. I just go out on my bike and have a nice arduous ride.
Alba gu' brath

W8taminute

I understand where you're coming from.  He's been trying to get me to buy a bike for years now but I just can't justify spending that  amount either. 

I have a Schwinn Road bike that's about 14 years old now.  I picked it up used for $100.  Nothing to brag about but for the 3 or 4 times a year I ride it does the job. 

I chuckled at your reference to Monopoly money.  We use the same term over here when referring to foreign money and it always sounds funny when someone refers to your own currency as Monopoly money.   ;D
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JudgeDredd

lol

It's more a term of endearment - who doesn't love Monopoly! Except for those marathon family games where everyone ends up cheating to try and bail!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

looks the real deal JD. And it came with 2 free tazer guns?

Is that the Mosquito on the window sill - i see now in scale how big it is - is the B17 the same scale???

''Youre going to need a bigger shelf''!

JudgeDredd

The guns are Nerf guns - bought them for me and my daughter

The Mosquito is 1:48 - the B-17 is 1:72 - I don't go for 1:48 for bombers - they're just too big
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 07, 2012, 04:36:09 PM
The guns are Nerf guns - bought them for me and my daughter

The Mosquito is 1:48 - the B-17 is 1:72 - I don't go for 1:48 for bombers - they're just too big

When I was young and foolish I took on a Bf-109E4 and a Ju-87D that were both in 1:24 scale. Those weren't a hobby but a career hurdle. I also did a JN4 in 16th scale Balsa and Tissue/dope. Damn thing seemed bigger than my 75 Honda CVCC!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

I recall buying a Ju-87 1:24 scale for about £70. It was a looooooooooooooong job and it just didn't take well to being hand painted. I notice a difference in scale with hand painting...the bigger you go, the harder they are to make look good.

Example - I have a couple of 1:72 fighters and they were pretty easy to paint in that the paint went on kind of "seemlessly" - same with 1:48 scale fighters and 1:72 bombers. OTOH the 1:48 Mosquito is proving to be a handful because of it's size (not scale) - a 1:48 would be impossible to hand paint with any half decent paint job
Alba gu' brath