Reading books on tablet devices

Started by W8taminute, July 06, 2012, 10:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I'm not sure I'm liking it.  When I pick up my tablet at work the first thing that comes to my mind is using it at a meeting in lieu of a paper notebook. 

When I pick up my tablet at home the first thing I think about is gaming.  It's been real hard reading Descent of Angels on my tablet because of these reasons.  I just can't get into reading on a tablet.  Is something wrong with me or am I the only one who prefers his books the old fashioned way, in hard copy?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

mirth

I'm the same way. I find it very difficult to read long passages in a digital format. I'm okay with news articles and such, but when it comes to books it's still hard copy all the way.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Shelldrake

I much prefer reading pdfs as hard copy rather than on a screen...but I enjoy reading books on my Kobo e-reader even more so than reading a traditional paperback. Go figure!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Mr. Bigglesworth

Sounds like the issue is backlit LCDs vs eInk. LCDs can make eye fatigue. After a while you want to get up to be away from the screen.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

Shelldrake

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 06, 2012, 12:42:49 PM
9" color eink reader
http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/ebook/products-C920.html

Nice. I will keep color e-ink in mind when it come time to upgrade from my gray-scale Kobo.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

meadbelly

I like owning books and bookshelves.

I was dead set against using an e-reader until someone from WG pointed out the ease of e-reading while eating for the simple reason ereaders lie flat. This completely screwed me over, because now I want my books, bookshelves, and easy reading while eating. Curse you o choices of convenience!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 06, 2012, 12:42:49 PM
9" color eink reader
http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/ebook/products-C920.html

It looks terrific. Only thing is... I can't find anyone who actually sells it! Where the Hel do you get your hands on one and how much does it cost?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

There is a company re-labeling it for $500. http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/?refid=1425&gclid=CNX21rWnhrECFQgJRQod6wtQIQ

The company does translation software for the US military so its jacked up with all kinds of education stuff. Primarily sold to schools (Why Russian ones?)

Staggerwing

Yep, the Jetbook is geared to educational markets. The company you linked to makes the guts for it but the actual device linked looks to be that company's own foray into ebook readers with an OS geared to the general market. Hopefully the price will be lower in that case as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

The hardware is the same as the Chinese company. Basically sub-contracted out.

LongBlade

I like my Kindle Fire. It has grown on me.

The one advantage I really like to it is that when I run across a word I don't know it's easy to put my finger to it and look it up.

I love books and still buy plenty, but my Fire is portable and easy to read when going to bed.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

meadbelly

^How do you decide which titles to buy paper vs electronic format? Just curious.

I still read too many .pdf manuals to do just a kindle. So now I have a kindle (B&W), my 12 inch thinkpad, and paper books. It's more than a little nutty.

LongBlade

Quote from: meadbelly on July 07, 2012, 11:01:35 PM
^How do you decide which titles to buy paper vs electronic format? Just curious.

Can't say that there's a real methodology.

I've bought a few Fire books I would rather have on paper simply because I wanted to have them on-hand in case I had my Fire with me. Probably like most of you, I tend to buy several books. If I don't like one or two I figure I have enough back-ups that at least one of them will be good.

The advantage to the Fire is that I can have a book immediately. I'm also finding that I like to download the Kindle sample. Usually that's enough to figure out the book is good, and then I'll often buy it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.