Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

I'm still here.  The plan looks good to me
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Which one? The one where y'all do two wars for guaranteed flawless victories (except D/S risk)? Or the one where y'all go after all three wars for guaranteed victories with possible casualties and one smallest chance of a stalemate (plus D/S risk)?

That's basically where we are now. The Frog will propose whichever has the most support: two no-casualty victories, or three victories with possible casualties.

2ndMac War gets a victory either way (without any D/S risks either); and Lusitania gets beaten either way (except for D/S risks).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tripoli

The three war plan looks good.  However, I'm happy with either one
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

ArizonaTank

I support this one:  "Or the one where y'all go after all three wars for guaranteed victories with possible casualties and one smallest chance of a stalemate (plus D/S risk)?"
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

malize

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 26, 2019, 07:04:08 AM
I support this one:  "Or the one where y'all go after all three wars for guaranteed victories with possible casualties and one smallest chance of a stalemate (plus D/S risk)?"

I will also support this

JasonPratt

I'm sure that's a majority in effect, so I'll double-check with the Frog and then proceed.

JasonPratt

The Frog says go!

This procession will take quite a lot of time, since it will finish out this Senate Phase, then go through the Combat Phase, and then go into the Revolution Phase. So I'm going to start it tomorrow afternoon.

It isn't a Contract, so the people who said yes can change their mind at any point -- until I start returning combat results I suppose!

Also, if for any reason someone wants to veto any of the final Proposals this, that can be done (with the proper Tribune action of course): the Roman Consul isn't a Dictator.

Erax

I'm glad you guys worked something out because there's been a lot going on here (sorry!). I'll see if I can at least check JP's math tonight.

JasonPratt

Everyone except I.I. (and probably him, too) prefers the option for fighting all three wars, so the Frog enacts those Proposals.

Target deployment strategy: Defeat and Stalemate can be (almost entirely) eliminated from all Wars, with possible casualties remaining, and D/S risks remaining on two wars:
13 Legionpower at 2nd IllWar;
5 Legionpower at LusiWar (10 from Conclusion 1, minus 5 for Conclusion 2, leaving more Legions under PaulMac to be protected from D/S risk and casualty risk);
16 Legionpower at PaulMac (20 power -4).

Roman Consul Claudius Proposes to Deploy one Veteran Legion, plus three regular Legions (2+3=5 Legionpower), to Garrison Hispania Citeria.

A majority vote of Players agree to this, and so they depart for the Province. (This doesn't change any stats, but I prep Manlius and the Province to defend against the Lusitanian Revolt on the board.)

Claudius Proposes to deploy the 1st thru 5th Fleets as logistic Support for Field Consul PaulMac to Deploy against the 2ndMacWar, bringing seven Veteran Legions plus two regular Legions (7x2 + 2 = 16 Legionpower).

A majority vote of Players agree to this, and PaulMac leaves Rome with the units. Normal vote tally for Conservatives is now zero! -- but that shouldn't affect the majority voting, and his fight is the most certain victory.

Lastly, Roman Consul Claudius Proposes to Deploy himself with 2 support fleets and all remaining Vet and Regular legions against the 2ndIllWar.

This is also agreed to by a majority vote, and so Claudius leaves the city with his units for the war. Plutocrat vote tally also goes to zero, but since Claudius didn't pass down the Presiding Magistration to someone else, this closes the Senate anyway for the Turn.

JasonPratt

TURN FIFTEEN -- COMBAT PHASE
----------------------------

Normally the combat resolves in the order of Deployment; but normally Province defense also resolves after normal combats! (And in the order of the earliest to latest wars, I think.)

In this case it doesn't matter, so we'll stick with deployment order:

The first Province defense of the game! It must be noted that despite some misleading descriptions in the Living Rules (even as of April 2018), and despite my misremembering of the situation (!!), Governors do not attack Wars! They do not use a Province as a springboard to attack a War, and while they can reduce a War's gains with a successful Victory (depending on whether the War has a leader and/or at least one Matching War on the board to help), they cannot discard a War off the board (unless only 5 scenarios or less remain in the whole game).

This is sort-of clearly stated in my flowchart rules, but I forgot to check. ;) So this won't get rid of the Lusitania War, but a Victory in Province defense would count against an auto-defeat, or count for one Player winning alone by sponsoring a successful Emperor overthrowing the Republic.

The Lusitania Revolt attacks the Province of Hispania Citerior (the first target on its list), defended by the Militarist Faction Leader and former Consul Manlius, along with the Veteran 1st Legion, supported by the 7th through 9th Legions, and one Spanish Provincial unit; plus Spanish partisans equal to one more Legion.

The Lusitania War doesn't have naval power, and Citerior Hispania is landlocked (for purposes of this game), so no naval fight is needed.

Hispania Citerior Land Strength: 1
Garrison Legions: +4
Garrison Vets again: +1
Provincial Armies: +1 (no division)
Manlius Mil skill: +9 (the rules are unclear how to apply Mil to a province defense, even as of April 2018, so I've house ruled in favor of the defense in my flowchart sheet: the Mil skill is always fully applied, representing capital defense, even with only 1 inherent Land Strength to work with.)

Lusitanian War Land Strength: -6
No other factors.

DRM = 1+4+1+1+9-6 = +10. A roll of 3 will be a no-casualty Stalemate; a roll of 6 will be Disaster; rolls of 11 or 16 will be Standoffs. Anything else will be a Victory, probably without casualties.

3d6 rolls... 6+4+4 = 14! Not a D/S result! Plus 10 DRM = 24, a no loss victory for Manlius!

Wars cannot usually be Discarded by a successful Province defense (until the final 5 cards of the game). A Provincial defensive victory also does not help unrest (although a defeat will worsen it as usual!) Lastly, Province Defense victories will not collect spoils: the War must be prosecuted directly for that! In this case, the Lusitania War is treated as a Province in Revolt (even though it has no Provincial territory yet), so it has no Spoils. The War basically bounces off the defense, technically going Inactive for the rest of the Combat Phase (for purposes of gauging auto-defeat or Emperor victory conditions), but goes back active at the Revolutionary Phase. (Otherwise it might come back Immanent in the Mortality Phase, which the rules are avoiding by this method.)

Manlius still gains half the War's printed land strength, so 6/2= +3 to Inf and Pop. He's already at maximum popularity, but his Influence goes up from 37 to 40 (total from 97 to 100!) He suffers no popularity loss or risk of combat death, due to no casualties. The 7th Legion, being the longest serving non-Vet, levels up to Vet. Manlius gains their loyalty chip.

Because this was a Governor defending his Province with a Garrison army, he and the Legions do not return to Rome. (The Governor might travel between multiple Provinces if he's a multi-Gov, but Garrisons stay with their Province.)

Annnd now I need to snack on something for the evening!  O:-)

More combat later, but I probably won't finish tonight. Might get the second fight done tho.

JasonPratt

It has been a busy summer weekend (and unlikely to get less busy next week), but this afternoon I'm able to catch up processing for the game, yay!  <:-)

Next up, the main event:

Field Consul Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus of the Conservatives, leads the 2nd through 6th, 10th, and 11th Veteran Legions, along with the 12th and 13th Regular Legions, supported by the 1st through 5th Fleets, vs. the 2nd Macedonian War!

Number of Legions: 9
Number of Veterans: +7
AemiPaul's Mil: +5 (all used)
2ndMacWar's Land Strength: -10
No enemy leader:
No other adjustment factors:
DRM thus equals 9+7+5-10 = +11

PaulMac nullifies the D/S results for this War, and the DRM adjustment guarantees a Victory. The only question is whether there will be any casualties and if so how many. If the dice roll is 3 (the absolute minimum chance) up through a total of 6, there will be 4 to 1 casualties respectively. Otherwise it will be a flawless victory.

The dice roll is 5+4+1 = 10, so as was most likely, a flawless victory! (This would also have naturally avoided the D/S results of 13/14.)

Unrest would go down by 1, but it's already 0. The Republic gains 45 spoils, up from 68 to 113 Talantons. Macedonia is not conquered, however, and remains its own political entity. Its card indicates that Rome can expect two more Wars from them, although whether in the Middle or Late Provincial Eras who can say? -- but this particular War permanently discards. The 12th Legion levels up to Veteran.

PaulMac gains half the Land Strength (10/2) = +5 Inf and +5 Pop. This brings him to the maximum popularity of 9 (none of which he will lose, since he lost no legions. Nor must he draw from the Death Bag!) 22+5 Inf = 27 Influence (new faction total 48). Aemilius Paullus gains the Loyalty chip for the Veteran 12th Legion.

The Field Consul begins sailing back to Rome with his fleets and Legions.

JasonPratt

Last this turn, and also least I suppose:

Roman Consul Claudius of the Plutocrats, leading the 16th Veteran Legion, along with the 14th, 15th, and 17th through 25th Legions, supported by the 6th and 7th Fleets, vs. the 2nd Illyrian War!

Number of Legions: 12
Number of Veterans: +1
Claudius Mil skill: +2 (all used)
2nd IllWar Land Strength: -4
No other DRM factors.

DRM will be 12+1+2-4= +11. D/S risks are 5 and 17 respectively; otherwise a total of 7 or more will be a flawless victory, with less still being a victory but with a few casualties.

3d6 are 6+3+3=12: not a D/S result! And more than 6 total, so a flawless Victory!

Unrest is already at 0. The Republic gains 10 spoils, up from 113 to 123 Talantons. This War discards; and Illyria is capable of no more wars, so Victory here creates the Province of Illyricum under Roman Governorship! The 14th Legion levels up to Veteran.

Claudius gains half the Land Strength (4/2) = +2 Inf and +2 Pop. This brings him to a popularity of 5 (none of which he will lose, since he lost no legions. Nor must he draw from the Death Bag!) 15+2 Inf = 17 Influence (new faction total 17+6=23). Claudius gains the Loyalty chip for the Veteran 14th Legion. Claudius starts sailing back to Rome with his Fleets and Legions.

This ends the Combat Phase.

JasonPratt

TURN FIFTEEN -- REVOLUTION PHASE
--------------------------------

The Lusitanian War, having been parried by a Victorious Defense, becomes Active again (but not Unprosecuted).

AzTank and the Frog must declare whether they will hand their units back to the Republic, or declare Rebellion against the Senate. (They cannot team up together for this.)

AzTank also has the option to Disband the 10th and/or 12th Veteran Legions; and the Frog to Retire the 14th Veterans. Each Retirement will add +1 Ora and Inf to the relevant senator.

The Frog now welcomes into his Plutocrats, the Middle Era Statesman Publius Popillius Laenas, staking a claim to Family #23 whenever they themselves become politically active.

PopiLae fights effectively against Land Bill proposals, and controls no less than 5 votes (including his own) among the Senate! His loyalty isn't the best however, and he only has a Mil of 2.

Not to be outdone, Malize now reveals that he has successfully convinced Gaius Servilius Glaucia to join the Populists!

Well, Glaucia does outdo Laenus in having even worse Loyalty and Mil skill, and Ora for that matter! But he adds 1d6 to any Popular appeal he makes, which fits in nicely with the Populist Faction!

No one else has any new Statesmen or Concessions that can be played.

Nor do any Players need to discard down to 5 or fewer Intrigue cards.

Players may trade or donate Faction cards to arrive immediately for a little while, until I catch up on some other things.

I will need to hear from the Frog and AzTank about whether they intend to Rebel or not, before continuing on into Turn 16 (for which I'll alert them).

JasonPratt

Both Consuls hand their units back over to the Republic.

Aside from potential lag on trading or donate cards around, this ends the Revolution Phase, and also ends Turn 15.

I'll try to get the Mortality Phase and segment 1 of the Revenue Phase done later tonight; but I also need to catch up on some other things.  O:-)