Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 24, 2018, 08:33:09 PM
Oh. huh. We seem to have lost diceroll functionality in the move to a new host. Probably just hasn't been activated yet. {squinting} Nope, can't find the button for it anymore.

[dice]2d6[/dice]

Nope, not that either.

Oh well, I'll drop a note to the ad/mods and see if they know how to re-implement it.

Fortunately I have plenty of dice on our TTS gameboard. Unfortunately, he rolls a hard 4 (2+2). +2 Popularity = 6.

That's -4 votes on the Pop Appeal table.

Currently the Net Total Votes stands at -38 (not counting I.I. yet since AzTank hasn't agreed publicly). The Popular Appeal backfiring will make that -42. Fabius' Influence +13 will make that -29 against Acquittal so far.

AzTanks needs to decide if he's going to agree to I.I.'s proposed contract.

This whole trial scenario is a bit reminiscent of this: https://youtu.be/zrzMhU_4m-g?t=6
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 24, 2018, 08:19:55 PM
AzTank hasn't agreed to that contract publicly yet, so I won't process that yet.

AzTank sends a message by chat that as part of his voting he'll make a Popular Appeal. (This has to be done when the Accused's Faction sends in their votes, but with asynch there's some lag involved.) He has not yet chosen whether to spend cash on bribing votes yet.

He rolls 2d6...

[roll]2d6[/roll]

I agree to the contract
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Okay, I've left notecards about the Aristo-Conservation Contract on both Players' mats to help remind me of the terms. ;)

Time to resolve!

Although I've reminded him a couple of times that this is a thing he can do during this segment, AzTank has not stated that he will re-assign the priesthood off Fulvius (the Plutocrat Censor) to someone else. He could still do this if he survives, but we're entering final resolution so this option has passed until such time.

According to the Contract, Fabius must make Corny and Val priests asap. He can only make (or re-assign) a priesthood once per Turn, but can do so at any time (during the Senate Phase) so long as he's between actions. Since Fabius may die soon, he'll automatically resolve this condition per the Contract, and assign a priesthood to Cornelius of the Aristocrats, in the order requested (not knowing any more accurate preference.) Corneilus gains 1 influence (up to 15, new total 40), and the Aristocrats (per their ability) spawn another 1 Influence to be spent on either Cinc or Val.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

In prior p-mail correspondence, I can report that I.I. promised given the ratification of the Contract, that he would not only bloc-vote to Acquit Fabius, but would also spend all 12 of his senators' personal Treasuries. So Cinc's and Val's treasuries go to zero.

I.I.'s normal vote tally is 12, but since the Aristocrats have the highest total Influence his 5 knights (per Aristo special Faction ability) are able to each bring another vote from the Senate, for a total of 17 votes. His bribery adds another 12 votes.

Tripoli set up a condition where he would add up to all his cash if necessary to secure a conviction, but all his cash won't be enough to guarantee a conviction, so by his terms he doesn't spend it.

AzTank, according to the specific terms set up by the Frog for matching "Fabius'" bribery, could spend all 6 of his personal cash against 5 matching cash from the Frog, for 1 extra vote, but it wouldn't make any difference to the final roll, so he doesn't spend for bribes. Neither then does the Frog; and everyone else has declined to spend on bribes already.

-38 Net Votes currently, +17 +12 = -9 Net Total Votes.

Final tally before the final Trial stage: -9 Net Total Faction Votes; -4 Popular Appeal backfire; +13 Fabius' Influence; equals 0 Net Votes so far.

In the final stage, the Prosecutor Aelius brings -4 votes (from his Oratory) against Acquittal; and the Advocate Spurius Cassius brings +4 votes for Acquittal. Net Votes still 0 so far after final arguments.

The next post will resolve the first Trial of the Republic, and the life of Fabius Pontifex Maximus!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

In the final trial 2d6 roll, 7 equals no change, and totals above and below it equal 4 vote shifts, the maximum being 20 votes either way.

(This means under the current circumstances, if Fabius was entering the final voting stage with Net -21 votes against him, his Conviction would be secured. Tripoli would have spent up to all his personal cash to secure a Conviction, but he'd need 21 Talents to do so, and he doesn't have that much. Consequently, according to his conditions, he spends none of it on bribery, since he can't guarantee conviction doing so. Arguably he would have been locked out of adding any bribery votes at all, at the time he made the condition, since at that time it either would have looked definite for a secured conviction, being far below -21, or else technically impossible to secure a conviction yet. But I'm trying to be as fair as possible to all sides, so I did allow for the possibility of him adding more votes to secure a Conviction by spending his cash bribing at the last moment.)

Consequently, the current net 0 votes means that if Fabius rolls a total of 7 or higher, he'll be Acquitted.

I've dropped a note to the admins about re-installing the dice roller, since that would be REAAALLLY handy right now. But we don't have it yet, so I'll have to continue using umpire's dice on the board.

It comes down to the final roll of....

and

That's a 6. The remaining invisible senators ended up voting a net -4 against Acquittal.

Fabius is Convicted of Major Corruption by a net total of 4 votes.

JasonPratt

Since only one Major Prosecution is allowed per Turn, this ends the Prosecution segment of this Senate Phase. All Suspected Senators lose their suspicions. Presiding Magistrate duties go back to Appius Claudius of the Plutocrats.

Fabius of the Conservatives, the first Pontifex Maximus of the Republic, being convicted of major corruption, is put to death: the first casualty of Players against each other.

As only a family Senator, he loses all chits (even in the Conservative Faction); and not being the Faction Leader, his card goes to the Curia to stay until the Fabians raise a new scion to represent them in the Senate.

Conservative Normal Vote Tally goes down to 12. (Pap's Ora 2 + 1 knight; Spurius Ora 4; Cam's Ora 3 + 2 knights.)

Conservative Total Influence goes down to 10+6+3=19.

JasonPratt

The Frog's Plutocrats, roughly in 3rd Place, have shifted the balance of power, leading a new coalition of Factions. For now.

Appius Claudius of the Plutocrats must now consider the next Mandatory Business: the Proposal for election of a new Pontifex Maximus, which takes new precedence over any other remaining Mandatory Business.

Meanwhile, although the Trial was lost, the terms of the Aristo-Conservation Contract still require AzTank's Conservatives to send 12 Talents from their Faction Treasury to the Aristocrat Treasury, sometime before the end of Turn 8. (It is of course impossible for Fabius to make Val a priest now, but the condition of that term is judged to be fulfilled, with Fabius having done his best by making Corny a priest before dying.)

The Conservatives do have 31 Talents in their Faction Treasury. They are not necessarily required to send 12 Talents from that immediately, but AzTank could do so at any time going forward. He can also spend his Faction cash as he sees fit from now until the end of Turn 8, but in order to ensure compliance with the public contract, I will not allow him to spend below 12 Talents.

If bad luck takes him below 12 Talents, that was the risk I.I. was taking. By the terms of the contract, I will effectively resolve it by reserving 12 Talents to be sent to the Aristo Faction Treasury at the end of Turn 8. If 12 Talents, by bad luck, are not in the Conservative Treasury at the end of Turn 8, I.I. gets all of what's available, and clears out this term of the Contract thereby.

AzTank can still pay the full 12 voluntarily at any time, starting now. Note, however, that any transfer of cash from Faction to Faction will necessarily be delayed in receipt until the Revenue Phase following the transfer action. (So I.I. will get resolution on his repay, no later than Revenue Phase of Turn 9.)

JasonPratt

I should note, that literally any senator present in Rome (which is all senators this Turn) can be validly elected PontMax, regardless of any or no other offices already held.

The new PontMax will also continue to hold any current office(s) until the normal expiration. So a priest could be elected PontMax, and will still be a priest until death or until some PontMax re-assigns his priesthood. A Roman Consul can also be elected PontMax, and will remain a Consul until that office expires next Turn.

Since Censors can be re-elected each Turn (instead of needing someone new to be Censor), a senator could theoretically continue as both Censor and PontMax (and priest, if already one), until the end of his life, so long as he keeps getting re-elected as Censor...  ^-^

Whether the Frog will try to consolidate more power among his senators, or Propose the office as a reward for supporting his Prosecution, or perhaps Propose the office as a consolation to his new political enemies, remains to be seen....  :peace: \m/ :-"

IncompetentIdiot

JasonPratt

Done: Val's influence goes up to 11; new total 41.

Erax

Because of the conviction, Aelius (the prosecutor) gains Prior Consul and 7 Influence while Flaminius gains 2 Influence, right?

JasonPratt

Ah, yep! -- I'm new at Trials, too, so thanks for the catch!  :bd: :hide:

Aelius gains half the Influence lost by the Accused, which in this case is all his 13 influence due to dying, rounded up: 13/2 = 6.5 rounds up to a gain of 7 Influence. Thus up from 2 to 9; Militarist new total Influence 21.

Flaminius of the Progressives had activist knights bringing x2 votes to oppose the corruption of Fabius; thus his Conviction (per the Progressive special ability) gains 2 Influence for Flaminius, up from 3 to 5, new total up to 7.

Also! -- Fabius was a Prior Consul, and Aelius was not, so having won his Prosecution Aelius gains Prior Consul status. (Fabius would lose his, but he died anyway.) This essentially means Aelius has proven the legal acumen to be a valid candidate for Censor office himself, whereas one of Fabius' punishments for a Minor conviction would be to lose his Prior Consul status so that he would be temporarily barred from being elected and seek a revenge investigation against his Prosecutor.

malize

Now that that nasty bit of business is over...the Populists would like to put a motion on the forum floor for activating Tribunes...the Plebs need a voice!

Ethel the Frog

Having reviewed  the Sixth Turn Grand Convocation, I think I am free to nominate anyone I want for PontMax, so I will nominate my guy whose name is partially occluded in the pictures.  is it Bacilius?  or Acilius? Anyway, that's who I am proposing. 

If Malize will vote in favor, I will permit the motion for activating Tribunes to go forward.  (That is, assuming that he needs my support to get a vote taken on that motion. Does he have the power to initiate legislation, or is that my exclusive perogative?) 

malize

Quote from: Ethel the Frog on November 25, 2018, 11:35:30 PM
Having reviewed  the Sixth Turn Grand Convocation, I think I am free to nominate anyone I want for PontMax, so I will nominate my guy whose name is partially occluded in the pictures.  is it Bacilius?  or Acilius? Anyway, that's who I am proposing. 

If Malize will vote in favor, I will permit the motion for activating Tribunes to go forward.  (That is, assuming that he needs my support to get a vote taken on that motion. Does he have the power to initiate legislation, or is that my exclusive perogative?)

afaik I think anyone can propose new business in the forum(?)  I think...lol.

Anyway, if it requires you proposing it, then I will gladly exchange my votes on pont max for you proposing.   

if it doesn't require you proposing it, then I'll still be backing you at pont max in return for your votes for the tribune (it works out the same anyway, you won't be *not* backing something you propose for the forum, as I think there's a potential negative?)