Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on December 21, 2018, 07:23:17 PM
I thought I started with 12 cash, +12 income = 24? If so, 15 Flaminius, 3 to each of the others, 3 in FT.

If it is 28, then 16 to Flaminius, 4 to each of the others and 4 in FT.

You definitely had.... oh, bugger. 3 senators times 4 personal cash each = 12 not 16. Lord help me, I genuinely cannot be trusted with even the simplest math.  :pullhair:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

IncompetentIdiot

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 21, 2018, 07:14:47 PM
Quote from: IncompetentIdiot on December 21, 2018, 07:04:59 PM
All three of my senators will make a donation of 10 talents (bonus influence to Cornelius). Of the remainder, 15 to Cornelius, 5 to Quinctius.

This is a genius way to exploit his Faction's special ability, by the way; and yes, I've double checked, it's entirely legal for multiple senators to donate to the Republic per Turn. Some other things, like Sponsoring Games or Persuading a knight or Persuading a senator, can only be done once per Turn (though all of those could be done by the same senator). But everyone can donate.

Having said that, Corny can't take all three Aristocratic bonus farmed influence, because he himself is generating one of those bonus points. He can take two points (from the other two guys), but his bonus point has to go to one of them.
Right, Quinctius will take that one.

Tripoli

25 to Aelius, 5 each to Julius  6 to faction cash
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tripoli on December 21, 2018, 10:10:18 PM

By "5 each" you would normally mean to each of the other two guys, but mathematically you mean 5 to Julius and none to Manlius keeping 6 in Faction cash. Right?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

ArizonaTank

I will give 4 to each of my guys   Paulus will spend 2 to get knight.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

That ended segment 2.

Segment 3, Republic income: 196 starting cash; +60 income; -2x13 Legions; -10 Active War (Immanent Wars don't cost anything) = new Republic total 220 Talents!

This ends the Revenue Phase.

JasonPratt

TURN NINE -- FORUM PHASE
------------------------

The Spolia Opima Event remains active in the Forum. No other events to discard.

Malize controls the HRAO, so will start the rounds, rolling a 2+6 which isn't a 7, so he draws a Scenario card: a red-text Faction card to his hand face down (his 3rd card).

Malize (per prior instructions) will shift Faction leader to Cato, and sacrifice his 5 for Cato's first knight. (Vote tally up to 21.) Junius will sacrifice his 7 for Level 1 games (unrest down 1 to 2; popularity up 1 to 3, vote tally up 1 to 22), and give the extra Popularity point spawned (per Populist ability) to Cato for his first pop point (vote tally up 1 again to 23).

JasonPratt

Erax's Progressives roll a 4+2, which isn't a 7 the other way around, and draws a Scenario card:

The 1st Punic War!

Now things are about to get real.  >:D

As you can see from the white border, as well as the format change, this is the first Early War card we've drawn; and incidentally also the very first card, 001, of the whole main Republic-of-Rome card set! The format of these cards are a little different and more complex than what we've seen so far, so I'll take some time to discuss it.

As with the prior War cards from the fan expansion, each set of main-game War cards features a unique graphic, the charging elephant with spearmen for the Punics. On the bottom right corner, as noted, is simply the serial number, 001 in this case. (This is how I also checked to make sure I had scanned all the cards.) Above it is a stack of "35" coins: the spoils for Victory over this War. The D/S numbers you should already understand to be the 3d6 combat dice totals which will trigger a Disaster or Standoff. For this war, however, there are two possible Standoff triggers: 11 and 13!

Above that, are three numbers. The crossed sword-number at the top is the Land Strength, represented on prior wars with a shield and sword in the bottom right corner. So far the toughest War in front of the Republic was the 3rd Samnite war, Immanent for next Turn, at 8. Now you've got a Force 10 War to deal with.

Worse, and perhaps more importantly, this is a Naval War which will require fleets; meaning that Fleet capability has now been unlocked! Just like historically, the Republic starts with no fleets. Your logistic capability for Fleets mirrors your Legions, so I'm putting 15 Fleets into the Force Pool. They'll cost 10 Talents each to Raise, just like Legions; and 2 Talents each Turn for upkeep, just like Legions. They cannot ever become Veteran, however. (Nor can they be sent to Garrison a Province.)

The anchor with the 5 next to it, means that in order to attack this War you must send 5 Fleets with your Commander and Legions: you're anchoring off the coast as a logistic supply train.

The ship with the 10 next to it, means that before you can attack this war you will have to score a victory over a Force 10 Naval Strength! You'll need Fleets to do that, just like Legions for fighting a Land War. You can bring Legions along, if you're confident (or desperate) about punching through the Enemy Fleets, but the Legions can't help in the sea battle, and they'll take casualties equal to your Fleets. The advantage is that if you do have Legions with you, and if you have the minimum sea logistic level remaining (5 Fleets in this case), your Commander can go on immediately to attack the War on Land. And just like a Land War, a Commander will score personal glory for a Naval Victory. Also like a Land War, once you score a Naval Victory against a War, you never need to worry about that particular Naval Fight again; but also like a Land War, there is no such thing as eroding the Enemy Naval Strength. It will always be 10 until you gain Victory over it; and usually it will be eroding away Rome's Fleets meanwhile.

You may notice there's no War Cost printed on this card. That's because all Wars in the main rules -- meaning from this War onward -- will cost 20 Talents, not 10 (like the remaining Samnite Wars), per Turn during the Revenue Phase.

The card in the upper left side clearly states there are 3 Wars in the set of "Punic Wars". The 2 in parenthesis afterward, means you can expect two of those Wars in this Era. Just like the Samnite Wars, Early Era Wars won't evaporate if they're still around when the Middle Era starts! -- so it's theoretically possible you could be fighting all three Wars at once (though you're lucky to get this one early so they'll be spread out more.)

The middle of the left side indicates that this War starts Inactive, where I've slotted it on the board. It'll stay here, not causing trouble, until the 2nd Punic War comes along, or until you attack it -- or until a Punic Enemy Leader arrives! (The card doesn't mention this, but an Enemy Leader will immediately Activate it.)

This is the first War we've seen in the game, where defeating it will create a Province -- in this case, two Provinces! We'll cross those bridges when we get to them.

Last, but not least, just like the pre-Early Matching Wars, simultaneous Wars of a set will multiply each other's Land and Fleet strengths by the number of Active Matching Wars!

Phew! That's enough to chew on for the new War cards. ...oh, one more thing: senators acting as Commanders are not so much field commanding as providing logistic and other support efficiencies for their Force. So any senator will be equally effective at Fleet command as at Legion command.

Erax didn't give me any instructions, so I'll pause to hear from him.

Erax

Flaminius spends 5 for a guaranteed Knight.

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 22, 2018, 01:15:44 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on December 21, 2018, 10:10:18 PM

By "5 each" you would normally mean to each of the other two guys, but mathematically you mean 5 to Julius and none to Manlius keeping 6 in Faction cash. Right?

Yes.  I had intended to give 5 to Julius and Manlius, with one in faction cash but changed my mind.  25 to Aelius, 5 to Julius, 0 to Manlius, 6 to Faction cash
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Flaminius spends 5 of his 15 cash for a guaranteed 3rd knight (Normal Vote Tally up to 9), and things move along.

JasonPratt

I.I.'s Aristocrats roll 3+6, which isn't 7, so he draws a Scenario card: a red-text Faction card face down to his hand (his only one currently). I've sent you a pmail to show what you drew, and under what circumstances you can play it.

I don't have further instructions from I.I. yet so I'll have to pause here.

IncompetentIdiot

JasonPratt

Tripoli's Militarists roll 5+2=7, so that's a random Event! Further 3d6 roll of 2+5+6=13, on the Early Republic table means... gosh, another Allied Enthusiasm!

I'm not sure I've posted the new Random Event table yet, so:

Here's what the new main-game Random Event cards look like.

This game has had the best luck in random events, I swear. ;)

I've dropped a little marker for the event near the Republic Treasury to resolve next Turn.

Tripoli didn't leave me any instructions, so I'll pause here.

Ethel the Frog

What does donating to the republic accomplish?