Modern Naval Warfare...New Sub Sim

Started by Jarhead0331, October 29, 2020, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Destraex

Looks amazing. Will be interesting to compare it to microproses modern naval game.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Yskonyn

Wow the trailer is pretty impressive!
Looks like they aim for ultra realistic simulation. The DCS of naval warfare if you will.
VR support, multicrew support. 3rd and 1st person views with interiors and crew stations fully modelled. Its all there!

Someone at the matrix forums said we should expect it q4 '22. If thats true then the 'coming soon' is a little bit early to state imo.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

It's like somebody's in my head reading my dreams. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

DetCord

I tend to stick to SP games of this nature but the concept of a multi-crew sub sim has me beyond interested. A skipper (player) in command of a crew of other players with everyone working together just sounds beyond obnoxiously interesting. Especially the potential for some really hectic and nail-biting instances where player controlled subs are squaring off, a sonar buoy announces your position, there's a helo based dipper above you, etc etc. Just you and your mates cruising along, performing a mission, doing your silent service thing when your STS announces that a torpedo is in the water. I'd love to see that play out...

On the other hand however, the video that dropped this week depicts the Seawolf (Virginia) class boat. Considering that the vast majority of the systems, tech specs, assets, and even performance data is classified, how exactly are they going to be able to model this stuff? I mean DCS can get away with abstracting certain systems here and there but nearly everything about that boat is unknown to the public.

EDIT - Have they said how MP is going to work?

Yskonyn

Wasn't the Seawolf also playable in Dangerous Waters by Sonalysts?
As long as its believable I am game.

And don't forget DCS still remains a game. The level of fidelity is beyond anything else we've seen on personal computers, but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of stuff remains abstracted.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

I rather they make the game with their rendition of the sea wolf and have fun with it, versus make the game with 60s and 70s stuff.  Or have both like cold waters, so you can see the progression between eras.

Toonces

It's a Virginia class, not Seawolf.  They're not the same class of sub at all.

The Virginia class is very prominent in the US Navy now, compared to only 3 Seawolf class boats, one of which is almost purely an intel/spec ops boat.  I'm not aware of another sim that models the Virginias.  Even modded Cold Waters doesn't have a Virginia boat in it, which is kinda weird.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

Quote from: Toonces on December 19, 2021, 02:51:22 PM
It's a Virginia class, not Seawolf.  They're not the same class of sub at all.

The Virginia class is very prominent in the US Navy now, compared to only 3 Seawolf class boats, one of which is almost purely an intel/spec ops boat.  I'm not aware of another sim that models the Virginias.  Even modded Cold Waters doesn't have a Virginia boat in it, which is kinda weird.

Command probably has both the seawolf and virginia modeled, but that's a different type of simulation. 

Toonces

^ Yeah, I meant sitting in the conn of the sub.  I'm surprised Cold Waters hasn't modded that in yet.