Crusader Kings II - Aztecs

Started by LongBlade, October 31, 2012, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

An email just rolled into my Inbox which looks interesting. A hypothetical invasion of Europe by Aztecs.

QuoteJust when Europe thought it was safe from troublesome Eastern foes, a new blood-curdling threat looms off the Western coast in Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion.

In the latest DLC for the critically-acclaimed strategy/RPG Crusader Kings II, Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studios pose the question – what would have happened if the Aztecs invaded 13th Century Europe?

For the first time ever, Paradox Development Studio is introducing a fantasy scenario in their strategy games. Introducing a wealth of new features to appease the angriest of sun gods, the upcoming Crusader Kings II DLC brings the savage, blood drenched Aztec civilization to European shores, determined to wreak carnage on its inhabitants. Cower in fear at the invaders strange gods and rituals including the potential peril of having your vital organs offered up to these vengeful deities in sacrifice. Anything to keep them happy!

It will be survival of the fittest to survive the onslaught of the menacing Mesoamerican warriors, bringing with them exotic and deadly diseases, and an appetite for destruction.

Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion arrives November 15th 2012 on all major digital download portals for 4,99 USD.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Laughable.  What would have happened? All the aztecs would have died from small pox and typhoid. It would be a short invasion.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

Sounds ridiculous.  Wasn't that the plot of one of Orson Card's shittier novels?

Nefaro

LOLwut?

I checked the calendar to see if it was April 1st!

tgb

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 31, 2012, 09:23:02 AM
Laughable.  What would have happened? All the aztecs would have died from small pox and typhoid. It would be a short invasion.
Heh.  That was precisely my first thought as well. 

Quote from: tgb on October 31, 2012, 10:28:29 AM
Why not make it Martians?
That would be more believable! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

besilarius

Smallpox would have decimated them, with no immunities built up.
However, my bet is that they would have given the gift that keeps on giving.
Syphilis.
Arriving a century or so before Columbus' sailors brought it back, this could be the question to test in this new scenario.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

gabeeg

I was stunned...wtf?  Really...of all the possible ideas...including Historic and plausible historic, this is the one that stuck for the next DLC project?  It is a half step ahead of Crusader Kings II "The Martian Invasion" pack...but thats about all I can give it.  I will be skipping this one.
Kind Regards,
Harry

TheCommandTent

Odd choice for an expansion.  I wanted the Mongol invasion.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Wtf? Well, the ones that survived the 3 month trip would have been mowed down by European cavalry before they got 1 mile off the beach. Who thinks of this stuff?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on October 31, 2012, 08:10:18 PM
Odd choice for an expansion.  I wanted the Mongol invasion.

IIRC the Mongols weren't the most exciting faction to play. You'll spend centuries herding goats and then suddenly one ruler will get the bright idea to go west and plunder. Then you'll overrun every nation until your head of clan dies and then you'll start all over again.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 31, 2012, 09:56:23 AM
Sounds ridiculous.  Wasn't that the plot of one of Orson Card's shittier novels?

Not sure about OSC but the idea did crop up in an alt hist SF short story a decade (or2)ago. Damifino who wrote it thought. I may have read it as a part of one of those 'What If?' Anthologies.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Tuna

When I saw the title of the thread I thought they were adding South America conquest, not the other way around!

son_of_montfort

I think this is going "full reversal" here:

QuoteIt will be survival of the fittest to survive the onslaught of the menacing Mesoamerican warriors, bringing with them exotic and deadly diseases, and an appetite for destruction.

So the Aztecs bring diseases to Europe (rather than the other way around). I'm not really all that happy with this, given that it is a huge deviation from my field of study and why I find CKII interesting and fun. But I'm willing to give it a look.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert