Origins 2014

Started by bayonetbrant, January 30, 2014, 09:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 19, 2014, 09:17:28 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 19, 2014, 09:03:36 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 19, 2014, 08:58:00 PM
I like the Staff Wargaming article.  It sounds like that was alot of fun to participate in.

It was blast to participate in. I was the Fires officer for our run through. Very tense and very good way to learn the workings of a combat staff.

I assume an interest in military history, wargaming etc. helped but did you have any other prior experience/knowledge that helped you participate or was it easy to jump in and learn as you went.

I have no previous knowledge of staff workings and the team made it easy to jump in and learn as you go. You get a good 30 minute or so run down of how things work and what each staff position should be doing and looking out for.

We used Flashpoint Campaigns as the simulation and we played the US. Got creamed but gave a good account of ourselves. The other game they were using was Battles from the Bulge.

Orieni

There were a couple of coaches, who were trying not to give the right answers, but let the players find them with perhaps a few helpful questions if needed. 

There was an AAR, heavy on the good points, not Army at all. Each runthrough is different, you will pull different roles, some will simply show up for every event and learn what they can.  James and I didn't try to cover everything, every time. 

In the Bulge, with 6 US task forces to track, you learn why units don't have six line subordinate commands.  In the Flashpoint scenario, you learn how the various combat arms have to help each other.  Watching the players struggle to anticipate, you learn why making even a bad decision is usually better than making no decision. 

I say there is no other event which will teach you so much about why wargames and military history are as they are. 

bayonetbrant

We're going to make this one non-sticky, and open up the thread for next year's event so you start lining up your excuses to not join us even earlier this year.

The rest of us are going to have a f*&^%$n' awesome time ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

We are seriously looking at the possibilty, depending on costs, etc.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

Im going if Bawbs going.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bob48

Obviously, we would have to tie this in with a longer visit, so hotel cost and so on will be a big consideration. We'll be looking at it in a bit more detail over the next couple of weeks.

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

seriously Bob, you know that if you guys flew over here from England, all manner of the Grog family here would end up helping you guys with places to stay. It might not be the lap of luxury, but the price would totally be right
we don't all live in tourist traps, but you would get a chance to see a whole lot of the country if you just drove around and said hi to everybody on the site
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

That's much appreciated, Brant. One of the big attractions would be to actually get to meet some of you guys.

'Clip those corners'

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

it was Origins or the pc build.
Origins would have been more fun and less expensive.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

another article up today :)

BanzaiCat

I'm up for Origins next year, if my company pays a bonus this time around. I won't know until February next year though.

bob48

We were looking at flights (there is actually one from Newcastle to Columbus) but they are over £1000 each, so that is a bit daunting to start with. :(

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

You're not going to find great prices between secondary airports.  Best best is to price something like Heathrow - New York, and figure out the cheap way to do connections at either end.

Be careful how much driving you estimate for the US.  Philadelphia to Columbus is a whole day in the car.