Microsoft Acquires Blizzard

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 18, 2022, 09:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Gusington

Almost 69 billion dollars! Wowzers.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Almost $10 for every human being on Earth!  Makes it seem kind of silly, doesn't it?

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Seems reasonable. The last quarterly financials for Activision Blizzard from 9/21 show revenue of $2.07 billion with a net income of $639 million and a net profit margin of over 30%. Q4 quarterlies for 2021 are due to be released on February 3. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

I think it is interesting that the value of the deal dwarfs the value of some traditional movie studios like Paramount and Warner Brothers.

And nearly equals MGM, a more diversified media company. 

Of course it has a long way to go to catch Disney...  I think Disney is worth over $200 billion.

But clearly, gaming and not movies is where the big money is these days.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

So why aren't we being paid more?  ::)  Maybe NOW, I'll get a little more respect from the Wife? That is a lot of money and indeed shows that Gaming is a serious business.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Gaming surpassed the movie industry by double digits long ago.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Con

It's an interesting deal.
I work on biotech acquisitions so my take on it is as follows
Most of the money is on IP and retaining talent
Microsoft is betting on VR and meta verse intersecting with stay at home entertainment
Synergies of technology with content
They are getting killed by PlayStation and PlayStation customer loyalty and need a needle move acquisition to change the dynamic
Microsoft 12 month rolling OpInc was $75b so an all cash deal that adds revenue will be very profitable.
It also sends a message that they think borrowing for debt will get more expensive in the next 12 months

Con

solops

Ooooooo.... I think this is bad news. Microsoft's record on PC games is not good IMO, and I do not play any other kind of game, except board games. I remember when Warcraft came out....long ago...sigh.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Con on January 18, 2022, 12:26:53 PM
It also sends a message that they think borrowing for debt will get more expensive in the next 12 months

Con

Yes
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Yskonyn

Quote from: solops on January 18, 2022, 12:44:42 PM
Ooooooo.... I think this is bad news. Microsoft's record on PC games is not good IMO, and I do not play any other kind of game, except board games.

The name on the office building is irrelevant. It's the people that matter.
I don't think MS will likely start changing the companies they take over. At least not radically so. Its a strategic move more than a tactical one, to keep in wargaming terminology. :)
Besides, if you're worried about MS then I am sure you're even more worried about ActiBliz with the dark cloud hanging above them.
I think they have more chance of actually continuing work on their (upcoming) games than they had before this deal.
Money buys power.
It remains to be seen how it will work out ethically, though.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."