Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Yes for my first few games I only want to play 1:1, and specific factions...I'm particular  :-"

How are you setting your games up?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Ah Gotcha. I have never been too particular as some of my ex liasons could testify  ;)

I am going medium map size, "The Good" difficulty, AI aggressiveness normal, a random seaside map for now and with 3 random opponents. Tribes and barbarians in play with both on default settings. Seems a good sweetspot for now.

Still learning so much about the nuances of the game and realising how I have been getting things wrong every play session !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

^Pfft I think my track record here for getting things wrong is speaking for itself.

Have you used any maps larger than medium? Maps feel a little small for me so far.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Not yet...trying to get a handle on things though maybe two other factions on a medium map should feel bigger.

Gusington

I am about halfway through my Assyria vs. Babylon campaign and tonight Babylon, Numidia, Thrace and the Scythians all declared war on me  :-\

The most immediate threat is Babylon. They are traipsing through my southern empire, but not taking any cities. I can barely produce enough units to counter them, as the Scythians and Thrace jab me in the north...although as tribes they are easier to handle.

Any suggestions for surviving this war? Also is there any diplomatic way to make peace other than hoping for a random event to pop up? I was able to make peace with Numidia that way.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

matt3916

Your Ambassador can request peace.

devoncop

Be aware that you will be unable to request peace until a set number of turns at war with the faction you are trying to use the diplomacy on. The number of turns depends on the difficulty level you are playing at and is set down in the start up options. From memory if you are playing on "The Good" level I think its about 6 turns. Also to get them to agree you may have to offer tribute.

You must have not been playing "nice" to upset everyone at once  ;)

Gusington

Thanks guys, will have to futz with my ambassador.

I really didn't do anything to instigate! Just building cities and some wonders and puttering around the map, occasionally spanking some barbarians as is tradition.

I even joined Scythia's war against Thrace but it must not have been enough - two turns later Scythia declared war on me :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on June 08, 2022, 05:20:33 AM
Thanks guys, will have to futz with my ambassador.

I really didn't do anything to instigate! Just building cities and some wonders and puttering around the map, occasionally spanking some barbarians as is tradition.

I even joined Scythia's war against Thrace but it must not have been enough - two turns later Scythia declared war on me :/

If you hover over the relationship score it shows you exactly what you are doing to upset them :-)

Two days til my new gaming rig arrives and I have to re-install all my bits and pieces but I still feel like its Christmas Day coming up. ...2016 since I bought my last one so it needs to last !

Gusington

New rig day is always the bestest.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

glen55

Quote from: Gusington on June 08, 2022, 08:29:55 AM
I beg to differ. There's a lot of unpackaging and hauling stuff around and plugging stuff in and loading software, etc., etc. IOW, PHYSICAL LABOR. I have an allergy.

The next day is the best.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

devoncop

Quote from: glen55 on June 08, 2022, 03:15:52 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 08, 2022, 08:29:55 AM
I beg to differ. There's a lot of unpackaging and hauling stuff around and plugging stuff in and loading software, etc., etc. IOW, PHYSICAL LABOR. I have an allergy.

The next day is the best.

Damn right Glen O0

I never underestimate my capacity to screw things up even with "plug and play" promises  !

New 27 inch curved monitor arrives tomorrow but the PC itself wont get here til probably Monday as while it was being built I decided to change up my graphics card to an 8GB 2060 Super rather than the more basic one I had gone with originally.

As I am too useless to play any cutting edge FPS  or stuff that needs tip top graphics cards that should be fine fir a few years

Gusington

It's 1000 times easier now than it has ever been setting up a premade rig!!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sparhawk

I've got over 53 hours in this now so am starting to get a decent grasp on what it's all about. What I have played a lot of over the last year is Shadow Empire and so naturally make comparisons in gameplay. An initial strong impression is that those that have tried Shadow Empire and were turned off by the character element will have problems with this. Characters and events drive the gameplay, and you have very little control over them. You aren't in a sports car instantly reacting to a sudden corner, you are in a semi-truck on a highway just keeping it between the lines. In fact, Shadow Empire gives you somewhat more control over event outcomes through manipulating characters through the card system. All said, that doesn't detract from the game. I'm quite enjoying myself. After the tutorial I've focused on playing Babylon. I figure once I get comfortable with them I'll go back to Greece. I see playing this for awhile.

devoncop

Quote from: Sparhawk on June 14, 2022, 12:05:10 AM
I've got over 53 hours in this now so am starting to get a decent grasp on what it's all about. What I have played a lot of over the last year is Shadow Empire and so naturally make comparisons in gameplay. An initial strong impression is that those that have tried Shadow Empire and were turned off by the character element will have problems with this. Characters and events drive the gameplay, and you have very little control over them. You aren't in a sports car instantly reacting to a sudden corner, you are in a semi-truck on a highway just keeping it between the lines. In fact, Shadow Empire gives you somewhat more control over event outcomes through manipulating characters through the card system. All said, that doesn't detract from the game. I'm quite enjoying myself. After the tutorial I've focused on playing Babylon. I figure once I get comfortable with them I'll go back to Greece. I see playing this for awhile.

Yes its a fine game. I think you do have more influence over characters than it may seem. Influencing the families and individuals as well as foreign leaders with your own leader us really helpful as is sending luxuries to them. Changing religion to make sure they are of the same faith also helps.

Just won my second game as Carthage on "The Good" level (This time an "Ambition"  victory) but with AI aggressiveness on "Normal".

Carthage is a diplomatic powerhouse so if you are trying for a more peaceful game they are ideal and being able to buy tribal units and have them switch sides is really cool.