Dune movie coming in October 2021

Started by steve58, September 09, 2020, 02:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

"Dune" is currently slated to hit theaters on Dec. 18, 2020.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/timothee-chalamet-dune-trailer

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Yep, I'm psyched. 

There were many parts of that that mirrored almost exactly the images in my head from the book. 

It's the little touches that were great, stuff only Dune fans would get, like the melee combat, Leto with the tablet of Agamemnon, the nod to Jodoworsky with Pink Floyd. 

I'm like a 6 year old on Christmas.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

CJReich46

I saw Arrival when they streamed it on Pluto TV. That had me convinced. They got the right director,  and he is also a huge fan of the books.

Now I remember the 1984 Lynch version, the 2001 Sci-Fi Channel Version (which I liked because while it was low budget did rather well dealing with this complex world)

The interesting use of "Eclipse" from Pink Floyd (very interesting indeed)

When I saw Arrival there was some parts that Denis Villeneuve did that were just incredible.  I think this one will be good and I have been patiently waiting on it.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

SirAndrewD

Another thing that has me even more excited than the trailer is that I've been reading opinions of those that have read the leaked script. 

First, the script that's been floating around online is now confirmed to be real since it had unique to the movie dialogue that mirrors what's in the trailer and hadn't been revealed till today. 

But, most importantly, those that have read it have said it's far far more faithful to the book than they'd ever hoped to imagine.  It changes almost nothing from Herbert and is deeply honoring the text in both content and theme. 

If that's true this one is going to be special.  It's a shame that it's coming out in a pandemic and that Hollywood has had so many Sci-Fi tentpole duds that it might hurt its box office and threaten getting the second half of the story.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

steve58

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 09, 2020, 04:15:59 PM
Another thing that has me even more excited than the trailer is that I've been reading opinions of those that have read the leaked script. 

First, the script that's been floating around online is now confirmed to be real since it had unique to the movie dialogue that mirrors what's in the trailer and hadn't been revealed till today. 

But, most importantly, those that have read it have said it's far far more faithful to the book than they'd ever hoped to imagine.  It changes almost nothing from Herbert and is deeply honoring the text in both content and theme. 

If that's true this one is going to be special.  It's a shame that it's coming out in a pandemic and that Hollywood has had so many Sci-Fi tentpole duds that it might hurt its box office and threaten getting the second half of the story.

If true, I might actually set foot in a movie theater again.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: steve58 on September 09, 2020, 04:43:01 PM
If true, I might actually set foot in a movie theater again.

Well, if it helps, the guy who said that was the Youtuber Midnight's Edge.  He's one of the most dedicated anti-SJW agenda media youtubers out there and he usually goes down rabbit holes of inside info that he hopes will lead to the cancellation or removal of properties that he feels have gone too far into the areas of forced inclusiveness.

I generally dislike virtually everything he says, but I listened to his opinion because since he seems to dislike everything, I wanted to see if he liked what he saw.  I was surprised to learn he did, and then he went heavily into the script leak and he endorsed the script wholeheartedly.  I didn't expect that, he called it "the best script I've ever read".

The primary and only significant change from the book that he pointed out was that they gender and race flipped Kynes.  They also refer to the impending Fremen "Jihad" as a "Crusade".  However, while these things would typically make him have issue with the material, he gave it a pass on the strength of everything else. 

Considering how badly every other attempt at Dune has been botched, a few little artistic licence alterations like that don't bother me either. 

ComradeP

Hmm, considering how many influences from various non-Western cultures and civilizations are used in the Dune books, I'm worried based on the use of "Crusade" instead of "Jihad."

Not just the word itself, also its meaning: Crusade is traditionally used as an indication of claiming something seen as "lost" from the outside. Arrakis is a Fremen planet, they're already there. The other factions are claiming it.

I can understand some sensibilities regarding the events in the Middle East in the last 30 years or so, but if the Fremen won't be using Arabic words or phrases seen as "sensitive" that removes at least part of the Dune charm. If I see a trailer with Fremen yelling "long live the fighters!" and where Emperor Shaddam IV is no longer called Shaddam but is only referred to as the Emperor, that would make the movie a big "nope" for me.

Edit: there are no members of House Corrino on the full cast list, that seems...strange.

Also:
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

SirAndrewD

It's worth noting that the movie is only covering the first half of Dune.  The end point seems to be shortly after Paul's fight with Jamis and his adoption into the Fremen. 

Therefore, Paul's visions of the Jihad are at that point fleeting and he hasn't been enmeshed in their culture yet.  It's almost entirely internal to him in the first book, the Jihad itself happens off screen between Dune and Dune Messiah, so if you're limiting this to Paul's perspective and using external exposition to make up for internal monologue, it wouldn't be a shock for pre-Fremen Paul to refer to the Jihad as a Crusade. 

I'm sure behind the scenes there's a lot of thought toward sensibilities, but in this they can have their cake and eat it too.  They really shouldn't have to worry about Crusade vs Jihad as a word in use out in the open of the universe until if and when they were to tackle Dune Messiah.

This also explains why there are no Corrino family members in the cast.  No members of house Corrino appear until the second half of the book.  Shaddam doesn't appear until the last chapters.  It would be inappropriate to have them in the film that covers only half the book. 

ComradeP

Ah, yes, that might be it. I was initially under the impression that the movies would cover multiple books, instead of one book in two movies.

I thought Irulan might at least be in as a narrator of sorts, due to the prologue text before each chapter in the book.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, it's just very easy to get worried after all the...less successful attempts to make Dune into a series/movie.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Anguille

Look forward to see it. The Lynch movie will probably still be my favorite (mood, actors etc.). Need to read the book now (stands up and goes to the library).

Destraex

wonder what rating it is for the kids...
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

airboy

I hope the movie is good.

Unfortunately, I think this is like the Lord of the Rings.  It will take at least two full length movies to tell this story.  I don't think one movie can pull this off.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on September 11, 2020, 10:57:11 AM
I hope the movie is good.

Unfortunately, I think this is like the Lord of the Rings.  It will take at least two full length movies to tell this story.  I don't think one movie can pull this off.

Fortunately that's what they're doing. 

Problem is, unlike LOTR they didn't film both movies together.  WB is taking a "wait and see" approach on how the first movie does before greenlighting the next. 

In one way that's good.  The time jump in production will mirror the time jump for Paul's years with the Fremen building up for the revolt.  On the other hand, it means that there's a chance the movie flops,, even if it's good, and we don't get the second half.  Audiences are fickle, especially in a pandemic, and they're jaded on a lot of Sci-Fi book adaptations that have been terrible. 

Worse, so many Sci-Fi properties have borrowed from Dune that it can look very samey to some people.  Dune has the anchor of looking derivative because so much that came after it and has had a bigger public footprint were derivative of Dune.

My biggest fear is that it's a masterpiece that's accurate to the book and finally does it right, but then they never finish the story because the film needed $500 mil to break even.   I'm not sure how well Dune's going to play internationally, so big numbers of $500-800 million are possibly a shot in the dark if it's not a huge US hit.