Grogheads Public Library?

Started by Jarhead0331, September 20, 2021, 08:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I've been toying around with this idea for awhile. I know it seems totally impractical and a waste of most people's time, but I like the idea of giving books more mileage and getting them into the hands of as many of our interested readers as possible.

I have an ever growing pile of duplicate books that I have been thinking of selling or donating. My local used book store, which was a treasure of my community for 45 years, recently shut its doors this month for good, so my plan to bring them there is out the window.

So, what if we had a book loan program here at Grogheads? You could borrow a book from our online repository and Grogheads would coordinate with the actual owner to get the book delivered to the borrower. Books could be "checked-out" for 30, 45, 60 days at a time, or renewed...whatever, we can make the rules if this goes official. There are a few details that we'll need to work out, like who pays the price of shipping? My preference would be for Grogheads to cover shipping costs, but then we would require donations and a library fund and that could get complicated/burdensome for me and Gus. Additionally, it is always possible that someone who checks-out a book might never return it. It would be nice to be able to compel compensation, but that is unlikely so obviously there is always that risk of loss.

In any event, it seem like a really fun idea, although not the most practical.

Thoughts?

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I love books and am always on board to get books that people want out to them, even if its not the most practical thing. We would need a 'library manager' who we could trust with funds.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I think this is a great idea. 

Where would the books be physically stored if one wanted to donate to the library?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Father Ted

Maybe people could post a list of books that they're prepared to part with permanently - like the ones you were going to donate JH - that way you don't have to worry about people keeping supposed loans.  There would still be shipping costs, but people could sort that out amongst themselves - perhaps swap books so each pays the shipping.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on September 20, 2021, 10:39:59 AM

Where would the books be physically stored if one wanted to donate to the library?

I think the owner, at least initially, would keep the book. I'd create a list of books that are available for borrowing and then if someone wants to check it out, I would coordinate shipping with the owner. After that, I suppose it would be up to the owner whether the book would be returned to them, or if they preferred that it go to our Grogheads librarian for keeping until someone else is interested in reading it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on September 20, 2021, 11:00:49 AM
Maybe people could post a list of books that they're prepared to part with permanently - like the ones you were going to donate JH - that way you don't have to worry about people keeping supposed loans.  There would still be shipping costs, but people could sort that out amongst themselves - perhaps swap books so each pays the shipping.

Book donations and giveaways is also a great idea, but the point is to definitely have them retained and maintained as part of an online inventory so others could spend time with them, as well.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 20, 2021, 11:12:38 AM

I think the owner, at least initially, would keep the book. I'd create a list of books that are available for borrowing and then if someone wants to check it out, I would coordinate shipping with the owner. After that, I suppose it would be up to the owner whether the book would be returned to them, or if they preferred that it go to our Grogheads librarian for keeping until someone else is interested in reading it.

Makes sense.  There are some books that if for some reason went missing after someone borrowed it would not upset me at all.  The books that I have that I would share on the library that I definitely would not want to get lost would be the challenge I suppose. 

So for me at least:

1. I would not get upset if books I donated got lost although for general library inventory purposes it would still be upsetting to someone.

2. Books that I would be willing to share on the library but would be upset if lost or damaged is another matter that I would have to think about.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on September 20, 2021, 12:55:37 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 20, 2021, 11:12:38 AM

Makes sense.  There are some books that if for some reason went missing after someone borrowed it would not upset me at all.  The books that I have that I would share on the library that I definitely would not want to get lost would be the challenge I suppose. 

So for me at least:

1. I would not get upset if books I donated got lost although for general library inventory purposes it would still be upsetting to someone.

2. Books that I would be willing to share on the library but would be upset if lost or damaged is another matter that I would have to think about.

I would say if it is a book you would not be willing to part with, you should not add it to our library. That is really the only way to avoid any problem there. It will obviously limit the titles we have available, but that's ok.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

Interesting idea.

Can imagine a Grogs bookmobile would be a BMP painted up nice.

al_infierno

I really like this idea, especially because local used bookstores tend not to buy niche military history stuff.  I have a pile of Beevor books I'm unlikely to get around to that I'd love to see get a proper home.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Dammit Carl!

Willing to hit up a nearby antique store where I'm sorta sure there are more than a few, nice hardback books detailing Naval stuff still there. Be glad to donate them to the Grog Book Nook.

Pete Dero

More than 95% of my library is on a Kindle ...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 21, 2021, 05:18:48 AM
More than 95% of my library is on a Kindle ...

Personally, I despise the concept. Nothing beats the look and feel of a real book and it is one of the few pleasures in my life that will never go digital. My book collection in my home office gives me great pride and joy.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I have maybe 2% of my library on a Kindle. A real book is far superior. Sales of digital readers are actually down in the last few years if you can believe that, and sales of traditional books up. Strange but true.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I find after staring a computer screen at work all day the last thing I want to do is read an online book. 

Now if you say, "Yeah but W8t I bet you play PC games no problem after work right?", I'll say and your point is?   ;D